12

Xavier had come to Andrew's home. He was still living with his mother, so his mom had answered the door.

"Hey, can I talk with Andrew?" Xavier asked the mother.

"Oh, of course, sweetie. Andrew, honey! Someone wants to talk to you! He'll be here shortly."

Sure enough, Drew walked up.

"Yeah? Xavier?" He walked out and closed the door. "What is it? Is Jay ok?"

"Look.. Jay.. well, he wasn't able to control himself, and... he killed Sasha and Natalie.. and possibly Daniel..."

"Where is he now? You couldn't just leave him."

"He ran off. I don't know where he is now, but I know he's not in the village anymore."

"What about the bodies? What did you do with them?"

"The cremation is about to happen. A girl named Roxanna is doing that. After that, she said she wanted to be a hunter, so I was going to help her with that. We need more hunters, so that's good. But, I want to ask if you could help guard while I help her. Or you could help her, and I can guard. Either way, could you help out?"

"Uh.. yeah. I'll go help Roxanna.." Drew walked back in and told his mother he was going to the lab to check on things. He grabbed his gun, hiding it from his mother, and left the house and headed to the shooting range.

When Roxanna got there, Drew was almost asleep.

"Uhmm.. hello?"

"Ah- sorry.. I'm.. tired... anyways, you're, Roxanna right? Can I just call you Rox?"

"Yeah, it's fine. So, who are you?"

"I'm Andrew.. Just call me Drew.."

"Wait! Can I join in?" Someone came running over.

"And who are you..?"

"I'm Kayla. Can I join? I'd love to help out. I heard you guys needed more people because most of the hunters died."

"Slow down.. ok, you're Kayla? And yeah sure, you can join. You just need help with gun work.."

"Ok!"

"And you told Xavier you wanted to help out?" Drew turned to Rox.

"Yeah, he looked distressed so I asked him why, and he said he's worried about the amount of hunters dropping, so I said I could help."

"Alright... I'll start you off with the basics. Holding the gun.."

"Wait, right now?" Kayla asked.

"Yes right now.."

"Yay!"

Drew sighed. "Anyways.." he went on talking about how to hold the gun and demonstrating how to shoot. He gave them a gun of their own.

Kayla shot first, hitting the dummy in the eye.

"Nice job. I see you're a natural at this... just like Jay was..."

Roxanna shot next, and hit the dummy in the chest. "Awe.. not as good."

"It's fine, you still hit the target, which is a lot better than when I first started. I completely missed the target."

"How long have you been a hunter?"

"Been a hunter or practicing? I'm not a hunter yet, but I've been practicing for about a year now. It takes a long time to become a hunter, but I might have to start early... I don't want to tell my mother...."

"Wait, how old are you?" Rox asked.

"I'm 14.." Drew yawned.

"You're only 14?? I'm 17! How old are you, uh.. what's your name?" Kayla asked Rox.

"I'm Roxanna, but just call me Rox. And, I'm 19."

"19!? And you're just now doing this?"

"No, actually, I've tried before 7 years ago, but my dad didn't let me.."

"Also.. are you ok? You look tired."

"Oh yeah no.. I'm perfectly fine.. My mentor just killed three people, and I've been told to help you guys right after hearing that.. I just want to sleep..."

"Oh no! Who was your mentor?"

"His name was Jay... Probably recognize that name, as he was the scientist who made the cure. I wanted to be like him, and help out, so I went over and asked if I could be a scientist. At that moment, he was infected, and they were trying to cure him. And they did. But just recently, he was infected again, but didn't want to be cured again. He ended up killing Sasha, Natalie, and Daniel. So now it's just me and Xavier as hunters.."

"How sad! So is Jay gone? Did you guys kill him?"

"No.. he's fled outside of village borders, and no one else was harmed."

"Xavier told me about it." Rox jumped in. "It was bad... their bodies looked horrible.."

"How do you know?" Kayla asked.

"I helped Xavier with the cremation of the bodies."