rain falls

Amberhome orphanage, home to 300 poor souls who lost their families during the latest civil war of the megacorporations of the galatic empire of earth.

The wind howled over a black sky covered in dark clouds. The smell of pollution reeking through the brown leaf trees.

The orphanage consisted of a main building which housed the living quarters and mess hall for the orphans which situated itself atop a hill, the second area was the library which also served as the records building where the potential parents would meet with children to see if their a good match for the parents. This building was built like a church towering over the main building behind it.

Between those two buildings was the play area which consisted of a basketball court, a swing set, and a slide. Chalk drawings and hop scotch squares poorly sketched on the black top.

The wind howled again as a rickety car pulls up the hole parking next door to the main building. The front door opens to reveal a 5 foot even male figure with dark hair and pale skin.

The male figure was dressed in a brown suit with clumsily sewn on patches where holes wouldve have been made and wore a name tag which read. Jeane.

Jeane slammed the car door then fiddled into his pocket for the car keys after a few moments he fishes them out and immediately clicks the lock on making sure the door was lock.

His nose wrinkled upon smelling the polluted stench of the green river which was a stone throw away from the orphanage as it was on the other side of the bridge.

The boy pressed another button on the keys opening the trunk. The boy walked back to the trunk sighing out a breath of fresh air.

Frank was a real asshole today. And those fucking drones are making it real hard to keep up. Jeane mentally cursed his boss and the fact that more and more of his co workers were being replaced by worker drones.

Im fourteen I need to start building up capital and prospects or else im never gonna be more then a street bum when the home kicks me out in two years. All orphans had to take a job as soon as they reached the age of ten and jeane knew that was the only reason frank didn't fire him for a shiny new worker drone he could fuck.

Pervert. Jeane would feel bad for the poor things being treated like bags of meat under that big hairy pig of a mans gaze but a couple of them seem to take to it even dressing in a way that promotes it. Other female worker drones would even be allowed to make a wage by serving as comfort drones.

The very thought disgusted him, not that jeane could ever afford one even if it didnt.

The boy turned his gaze toward the backdoor mirror and saw his blue eyes sunken from a long day with bags under them.

I need coffee and a good nights rest... and im only getting one. Agnis the madame of the orphanage wants all the teens in the orphanage up early to begin preparation of meals and to do the harder jobs that the kids couldn't do.

The boy reached the trunk just as the cloud decided to pour their contents a green rain which stung jeanes face as It usually did. The boy felt something as the rain entered his mouth and realized that this rain had metal in it... namely... copper... he could detect it that would be useful.

No one knew this but jeane was a mutant one of those people in the news with unique abilities but its not like the penny dreadfuls where he could summon tidal waves or control the minds of the weak and feeble ladies of good breeding. His power was metal burning which meant that if he consumed a metal depending on what type of metal It was he could burn it in his belly and gain a ability. Copper for example would enhance his sensory capabilities and more importantly wakefulness but its main drawback would be a pain so he would have to burn it sparingly.