Hope is Not the Goal

Must have 10 comments and 20 votes for another chapter. Note: Art Ai generated.

                    Moonlight danced over shimmering scales as Nyx sat on the dock, watching as the stars sparkled across the surface of the lake. "I knew you would be here," a soft male voice said, pulling Nyx from her thoughts. She looked back and saw her brother Henrik walking towards her barefooted, wearing jeans and a purple silk dress shirt halfway unbuttoned. The wind blows lightly, causing his shirt to ruffle and reveal a few scars on his torso. Sadly, carrying the last name Mikaelson had consequences. That's why Henrik had left his sisters years ago. He didn't want to put them in danger, so instead, he went to a private school in England under the watchful eye of his mother, Liv. His departure had been difficult for his sisters, but it was harder on Nyx. Their father had chosen her to take over Henrik's duties as the twins' caretaker. So, instead of being her young, carefree self, she had to grow up fast and keep her sisters out of trouble. Henrik takes a seat by his baby sister and leans back on his hands so he can look up at the sky.

                    "If you're here to ask for forgiveness...," Nyx said, but he interrupted her.

                    "I'm not here for that....I know you're not ready, and that's understandable. I left you and our sisters. Because of that, a great weight was laid on your shoulders....being our sibling's caretaker is a hard and thankless job. Dad never should have placed that responsibility on you," Henrik explained in a regretful tone.

                    Nyx sighed, "Why are you here, Hen?" she asked in a tired tone.

                    "...Dad thinks you should take some time off from school...maybe come to New Orleans with me or join Mom in France," Henrik replied nervously.

                    Nyx narrowed her eyes at him, "What is Dad trying to hide? It has to be something big because there is no way he would send me off like that when we have monsters attacking the school for an artifact," she pointed out.

                    "Dad needs a reason to worry about you? I mean, lately, you've become a bit aggressive to others around you," he explained.

                    "Pretty sure that's a normal part of being a teen, so maybe you and Dad should come up with a better excuse," Nyx said sarcastically, then got up and walked towards the school, leaving her brother alone with his thoughts.

                    Minutes later, Nyx was walking through the school hallways heading to her room when she passed Hope's bedroom door. The sound of crying filled her ears. Nyx halts and looks at the door, debating if she should keep walking as if she heard nothing or bring herself more pain to ease Hope's. 'I'm a glutton for pain.' Nyx thought as she opened the door, entering her ex's bedroom without a word. She finds Hope curled up in bed, wearing soft grey pj pants and a white tank top. The Tribrid looks up at the sound of her door closing, revealing bloodshot eyes and a tear-stained face. "Nyx?" Hope whispered in confusion.

                    The siren sighed and walked over to the bed, "Scoot over," she ordered, only confusing Hope even more, but she did what Nyx said and scooted closer to the wall. Nyx kicks her shoes off and pulls her shirt off, leaving her in a sports bra. Hope couldn't help but ogle the siren, remembering when she could call all that beauty hers. Nyx climbs into the bed and pulls Hope down so her head is against the siren's shoulder. Hopes muscles instantly relaxed at the warmth and sense of home Nyx's body radiated. She hides her face into the siren's neck as Nyx wraps one arm around her waist, keeping her close while the other pulls the covers over them.