Capítulo 5

RUE

By the end of my Thanksgiving Day shift, I was exhausted. The convenience store was one of only two in town open, so I’d barely snuck in a mid-morning snack. Being paid double-time and a half made up for it, though, especially since Rosario hadn’t minded taking Andrés for the morning.

When my shift was over, I quickly went home to shower and then made my way across the street. I was a little nervous because I’d be meeting Rosario’s daughter, Fernanda, for the first time.

Fernanda and her family would have Thanksgiving dinner with her in-laws, but they always made the drive to Rosario’s house for pie and coffee later in the evening.

Andres’ laughter greeted me the moment I walked through the door, and it wasn’t a cartoon-inspired chuckle. It was a full belly laugh, which I rarely heard from him, so I peeked into the living room.

The old leather recliner I knew had belonged to Rosario’s husband had been turned sideways to support a blanket that was strung across to the couch, where a stack of hardcover books held the edge down. The cushions of the couch weren’t there, however, as they were currently in use as a wall for the fort.

I hope Rosario had permitted Andrés to wreck the living room.

I walked over to the fort and bent down, trying to peek over the cushion wall.

“Knock knock.”

“No girls,” Willy yelled from inside, and Andrés laughed again.

Oh my goodness.

Guillermo had made a fort with my son. As if I wasn’t having enough trouble keeping my hormones in check.

“Not even moms?”

A paper airplane sailed through the gap between the blanket and the cushions. I picked it up and noticed crayon marks, so I unfolded the paper.

No girls allowed. No exceptions.

Then, in my son’s huge, jagged handwriting: No moms but I love you so much Mommy.

“Oh wow. Very funny,” I let out.

They must have written it ahead of time, anticipating my arrival.

“Willy’s reading me a story about dodo birds, but he keeps saying doo-doo birds,” Andrés called out to me, which explained the belly laughs.

Five-year-old boys were suckers for potty humor.

“Alright. I’ll leave you to your doo-doo, then,” I said.

“Your mom said doo-doo,” I heard Willy say in a low voice, and then they both laughed.

Shaking my head, I left them to their fort and went into the kitchen. Rosario was standing at the sink, looking out the window as if she was a million miles away. Only when I got close did I see the tear tracks on the older woman’s face.

“Rosa, are you okay?”

Rosario started and gave a short laugh as she wiped her face with the dish towel.

“Yes, miha. Missing my Hernan, and hearing Willy laughing with Andrés... you know. It’s Thanksgiving and I’m just a mess, I guess. I thought I’d be so busy I wouldn’t have time to be sad, but once the turkey’s in the oven, it’s just not that hard to make mashed potatoes.”

“I’m sorry.”

It shook me to see Rosario sad.

“If you and Willy want to be alone, we can—”