Capítulo 8

RUE

Something was up.

Thought I couldn’t put my finger on what. For the first time, my son had actually been disappointed to see me walk through Rosario’s front door, which was a first. And then, when Willy showed up, they’d disappeared into the garage doing who knew what.

“What are they doing out there?” I finally asked Rosario when I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Christmas is the season for not asking questions, young lady.”

“I hope he’s not bugging Guillermo. He tends to be in the way.”

“If he gets in the way, Willy won’t be shy about sending him inside.”

I wished they’d hurry. There was a roast in the slow cooker and I was starving. I hadn’t anticipated having to wait around while my son and Willy did a secret project.

“It won’t take long,” Rosario said, and I realized I’d been drumming my fingers on the counter. “And that’s a pretty sweater.”

“Thanks” I smiled and looked down at the thick sweater coat I’d thrown on after work.

It was a blend of heathery blues and greens and tan and was one of my favorites. Rosario fingered the knit, looking more closely at it.

“You know, I have some merino wool that exact shade of green. I could knit a beautiful scarf to go with that. Stay here. I’m going to run upstairs and grab it just to make sure it’s the right shade.”

Before I could protest, she was gone.

Ay.

Rosario had chicken breasts roasting in the oven and the aroma was making my stomach grumble. Being left in the kitchen while my supper was waiting was torture.

When the door to the garage opened, I hoped it meant Andrés was ready to go, but it was Willy who walked into the kitchen.

“Where’s Ma?”

“She went upstairs to dig through her yarn stash.”

He frowned and crossed his arms.

“We need tape. Little kids are not good at handling tape.”

Being alone in the kitchen with him again made me think of the night we’d decorated the tree and he’d almost kissed me. I’d gotten scared and run from him, and things had been slightly awkward between us since.

“I don’t know where she keeps it. Did you check her computer desk?”

“I’ve checked all the usual places, and I can’t find any. There’s no way my mother would run out of tape in December.”

“I’m dying of curiosity, you know.”

He gave me a stern look.

“You’re not allowed to ask questions in December.”

I chuckled.

“That’s what Rosario said, too.”

“And no using maternal superpowers to weasel secrets out of the kid. He’s excited and he’ll be sad if he gives it away.”