Capítulo 12

WILLY

We’re on the same page.

I had said it to Ruelle Espinosa twice as my way of reminding her— and maybe myself— that there was nothing between us but a physical attraction.

But now, sitting across the table and watching her laugh at something Andrés said to her, I wasn’t sure what page I was on anymore. I felt as if somebody had taken my book and tossed it in the air so it landed open to a random page I couldn’t make sense of.

Sitting in a diner with Andrés and Ruelle because it was easier than trying to figure out what to eat at home shouldn’t have been one of the more enjoyable evenings I’d had in... a very long time. It was comfortable and fun and I liked spending time with them.

There would probably be some gossip. I’d seen a few people I knew look my way when I’d walked in, taking in the fact I was with a woman and child.

Surprisingly, I didn’t care.

Let them talk.

Ruelle managed to get Andrés to stop talking about Elton’s garage long enough to look at the menu, and I felt my chest tighten at the sight of their heads bowed over the list of offerings.

I cared about them. Both of them, which was probably only natural since we all spent so much time together. And I’d keep telling myself it didn’t mean anything more than friendship because I and Ruelle had nothing else to offer each other.

Especially a man like you.

Her words still stung, but I was managing to get a little perspective. Of course, she liked a high-class kind of guy. I’d seen the pictures of her on the internet. She might be sitting across from me in a polo shirt with a home kitchen haircut, but she’d spent a long time being Mrs. Ruelle Garcia Espinosa.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked, and I realized I’d been staring at her.

“Sorry. I was thinking about what I want to eat and must have been looking in your direction when I spaced out” I lied.

We ended up all ordering cheeseburgers, although I ordered bacon on mine and then Andrés wanted to add bacon, too. I grinned at the boy when Ruelle sighed in exasperation.

I liked this Ruelle Espinosa. She’d not only survived losing the Mrs. Garcia part of her name, but she’d bounced back from a blow that probably would have devastated a lot of the women she’d called friends back then. She was funny and kind and a great mother.

Yeah, I definitely liked this Ruelle.

A lot.

I closed my eyes. I wasn’t going there.

“Do you have a headache, Willy?”

Andrés’ voice distracted me from the path my thoughts had been taking, and I was thankful.

“Nope. Just resting my eyes for a minute. Did your teacher plan anything fun for tomorrow?”

As I anticipated, Andrés took that conversational ball and ran with it. Ruelle and I only had to nod and make appreciative sounds once in a while, so I sat back and sipped my decaf. When I stretched out my legs, one came to rest against Rue’s.

I should pull away.

I knew it. But she didn’t, so I didn’t and then the moment passed. With the warmth of her calf pressed against mine, I drank my coffee and listened to Andrés talk about school until the server brought him a bucket of crayons.