Chapter 1

I don't know how many times I forced myself to laugh, giggle and smile in the past few hours. My cheeks started to hurt as I kept smiling at people with big names.

"Congratulations dear, hopefully the next one would be as grand!" A woman greeted and walked away, smelling like old money.

I bowed, showing her my gratitude. As everyone started to move out of the theatre to their expensive cars, I walked back inside, in my black gown, to my theatre.

Yes, that's right. I own a theatre in Kyoto, Japan. The biggest accomplishment that I ever did in my entire life. At a very young age, I have been invited to several countries to criticize and choreograph their dance companies. And, with all that money they gave me, I built a theatre in my hometown.

I've been holding shows and performances every couple months and it placed me under a lot of pressure and stress due to expectations. I love my job, don't get me wrong, but it just gets hectic. Thankfully, with the reputation I built, people come and watch even if it's far from the central part of Kyoto or from the capital, Tokyo. The sponsors, the CEOs and even big directors come and watch.

Tonight was the last show of the month so I was relieved to finally take a breath. I sat down on one of the chairs of my theatre, finally relaxing after the long night. I laid my head back and closed my eyes. I heard footsteps on stage, making me sit properly to look at them. I stood up from my seat to thank them.

"Thank you all so much.. Have a good week off!" I bowed as they did the same.

Some cheered at the thought of the break but unfortunately for me, I'll be working.

As I watched them leave the theatre house, I sat back down again. I laid my head and closed my eyes, feeling my body relax through the tight dress.

My mind started to wander and think about some things. As I was in my deep thought, I felt a hand on my shoulder, making me jump from my seat. I looked behind me and saw my boyfriend, Kenzo Watanabe.

"Hey.." He smiled at me.

I smiled back and held his hand that was still on my shoulder. He sat down next to me and surprised me with a bouquet of red roses.

'Great... another set of flowers.'

"I'm so sorry I couldn't go to the show tonight." He said planting a kiss on my hand.

"That's alright Watanabe-san.. These are beautiful!" I smiled as I smelled the same scent I receive every month.

"Rika-chan.. We've been dating for a year now and you still call me by my last name.." He pouted.

I smiled sadly at him and took his hand closer to me.

"Sorry, Kenzo-kun.. It was out of habit.." I smiled sheepishly.

Me and Kenzo met at a party in our last year of highschool. All graduating students in Kyoto were invited as a farewell party or just to have fun. I was doing it for both, while Kenzo was doing the latter. It was a big party and somehow I bumped into him while I was tipsy but thankfully, he didn't do anything to me. We just talked that night and became good friends. After the party, I didn't see him anymore up until a year later. When I was leaving Germany to go back to Japan, I saw him as a flight attendant at the same flight as I was. We had coffee right after we landed and we just started seeing each other more often and started dating.

I, honestly, didn't think much of it but then I realized that a year has already passed when we started dating. When I wanted to get a person out of my chest.

"Let's go? Do you wanna eat somewhere?" He stood up and fixed his hair to the side.

A gesture that reminded me of someone.

"Hmm.. no not really.." I smiled, standing up.

He nodded his head and motioned me to go out first. I walked out to the aisle and went up the stairs to the door, as he followed beside me. We both went out to the reception to grab my bag so we could go. I said my farewell to the security guard as we walked to the parking lot.

"Ah.. I brought my car tonight, Kenzo." I realized as I look at him.

"It's okay.. Let's meet up tomorrow to have breakfast before you go, hm?" He said hugging, drawing circles on my lower back.

I shuddered at the feeling as I placed my hands on his chest.

"Sure." I nodded and gave him a peck on the lips.

"See you tomorrow, Rika.." He hugged me tighter.

I hummed in response and hugged him back.

As we let go, we both went to our respective cars and drove off to our apartments.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I started packing my stuff last night but couldn't continue as I crashed right after a few clothes were thrown into the suitcase.

I'm going to Italy for a week as I've been invited to hold a workshop and watch a performance there. The workshop would be on the same day I land and the show would be a day after. The remaining days I have is for sight-seeing.

Me and Kenzo planned to meet today before I fly to Italy. I wore a light blue polo and a pair of dark blue slacks. I packed my body bag with my wallet, phone, lip balm and perfume. I also bring a few sanitary products for emergencies.

As I was about to wear my loafers, I received a message from Kenzo.

Kenzo: Hey.. sorry, I know you hate last minute changes but I have an urgent meeting to attend to and I can't miss it :(

I sighed at the text and pinched the bridge of my nose.

Yes, he's right. I hate last minute changes. Thank God, he didn't call me or I would've scolded him.

I took a deep breath and replied.

Rika: It's okay.. You'll still drop me off at the airport right?

Seen

I waited for a few minutes to see if he'll reply but, unfortunately, nothing.

"Ha..." I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

I put my phone back in my bag and continued to wear my shoes.

At this point in our relationship, I'm not surprised anymore. Every time he plans something, he would cancel last minute, knowing that I hate it. I decided to let off some steam and just go out since I was already dressed.

I went out of my apartment door and walked to the bus stop in front of my house.

As much as I love driving, sometimes, I'd rather just walk and enjoy the scenery. As I waited for the bus, I scrolled through my old photos reminiscing good memories. Like the first class I taught when I was a teenager. The time when I almost drowned at the pool while my older brother laughed at me. And the time when my older brother's volleyball team won the All Japan High School Volleyball Championship. As I kept swiping, a photo of me and a boy came to the screen. The MVP of the tournament. My brother's best friend. My first unrequited love.

Ran Takahashi.

I closed my phone and looked up to see that the bus was coming. I took a deep breath to calm myself down, then entered the bus.

'Get it together, RIka..'