Chapter 12

I threw the empty cans in the trash bin and tied it up so it wouldn't spill. Ran was washing the dishes and even though I insisted on doing it, he said I was more clumsy than usual due to the hangover and that I'd probably break all of his dishes.

I just gave him a glare as a response but said nothing more. I decided to just clean up his house as a token of gratitude. 

"Hey Ran, where's the garbage chute? Is it outside?" I asked.

"Yeah.. It's downstairs! But it's fine, leave it. We'll throw it out later." He reassured. 

I hummed in response. I went towards the kitchen and looked for a wet cloth. 

I peaked over Ran's shoulder to see if the cloth was in the sink.

"H-Hey! What are y-you doing?" He stuttered suddenly.

I looked at him weirdly, seeing that the tips of his ears were red.

"Uhh.. I'm looking for the wet cloth to wipe the table?" I tilted my head to the side, confused at his flustered state.

He crouched down, opened the cabinet that below the sink and grabbed the item that I was looking for. He then shoved it in my face as I backed away at the sudden movement.

"Why so aggressive, sir?" I gently took the cloth from his hands while looking away from me.

He shooed me away as I made my way back to the dining table.

'Weird.. He was fine not too long ago.'

After wiping the table, I went back to the kitchen to wash of the piece of cloth. I noticed that Ran was finishing up and decided to wait, leaning against the kitchen island. 

I crossed my arms with the cloth in my hand as I looked at him up and down, observing him.

He peaked over at his right shoulder, looking at me.

"Uhh.. Is there anything that I can help you with, Ms. Kobayashi?" He asked, slowly turning towards me.

I shook my head, answering his question.

"Nope.. Just waiting for you to finish so I can wash this cloth.. Continue." I smiled and stayed in my place.

He let out a sigh and reached out his hand.

"Give it to me.. I'll wash it." He beckoned.

"It's fine, I can wash it." I refused as I shooed his hand away.

"Rika, give it to me.. I'm already washing the dishes." He said as he walked closer but still keeping an arm length distance.

I couldn't walk back since I was already leaning on the island. 

I, being my usual stubborn self, shook my head. 

'I already made a mess since last night, let me wash the damn cloth.'

"No." I said, looking away from him. 

"No?" He questioned, cocking his head to the side.

I suddenly started getting nervous. I kept my eyes closed, facing away from him. I hid the the cloth behind my back even though I was already feeling timid.

I heard him heave out a sigh as I suddenly felt his body warmth near me. I opened my eyes to see that he did in fact get closer.

Way too close, to be frankly speaking.

"H-Hey!" I stammered, facing him.

He placed his hands on the island, cornering me. His face got closer to mine as I backed away even more.