Chapter 4 : Welcome to New York Part 2

I've hidden references to the songs Marjorie, Illicit affair and Long Live, comment when you find them!

As Travis stepped out of the elevator a delicious scent of citrus, nutmeg and cardamon hit her nose before he cleared the threshold. He had an effortlessly cool air about him. Pretty much the opposite of her, as all she did was try hard to make people like her.

She was taken back by his seer size, but refused to let that show. Instead, she took a step in his direction for a welcoming hug, quickly remembered their "no contact unless explicit consent" contract, lowered her arms and stood at her tallest. He stepped towards her, getting close enough for an embrace still allowing for a small distance, contractually enforced, between them. Taylor felt like she was peacocking, in a battle of will with his large presence. She wouldn't be backing down just because he had 100lbs, a few inches and standard American values constantly reassuring him how wonderful he is.

The large football player towered above her, and despite his domineering stature he exuding a playfulness with his half smirk. His searing eye contact was disarming. No wonder he had his own dating show. She understood how a gaggle of women could easily fall for this man. He ooze charisma. "I went on quite the adventure to get here. I feel like Marilyn sneaking into the white house." He raised his eyebrows, likening himself to the blond bombshell.

"This arrangement is actually the precursor to my campaign announcement. Vote Swift 2024." His stare filled her with an unexpected frenetic energy. Calm down, she reminded herself. Of course, he is charming and attractive. He is a very famous athlete who has hordes of women throw themselves at him.

"You can count on my vote." Travis broke eye contact and sauntered into the open floor plan living room and dining room. "This place is great. It looks like a bougie cat lady lives here." He casually flung the insult as he eyed the velvet vintage furniture, hanging bulbs light fixtures, deep red walls and exposed wooden ceiling beams.

"She does." Taylor said flatly repurposing his jab as a fact. She cocked her head and took in his ensemble. He was sporting gold and black Nike high tops that looked like they belonged in a museum rather than on a sidewalk, distressed black denim jeans that hugged his thighs so well if he flexed too hard they might tear and a dizzying animal spotted black and white button down shirt. A gold chain drew her eye to his hairy broad chest exposed by the low neck line of his collar. His stylist did well, was perhaps even showing off, knowing this was a significant meeting. She should get in touch to collaborate on the upcoming public appearances.

Travis' green eyes sparkled with mischief as he noted her taking him in. He gave an exaggerated twirl and asked "You like the fit? I tried to dress up for you."

Now, she would show him she could hold her own in verbal sparing. "You look like Cruel devil's husband went vegan".

"I"ll take it, T-Swizzle."

Taylor crinkled her nose at the nick name. Jeez, it was like he was raised in a fraternity. Actually, in a locker room filled with bro-y nick names and banter. "We'll have to work on pet names. That's not my favorite".

"I'll workshop it, baby." Travis winked.

Taylor bristled at the revised pet name. Was it intimate or condescending? It could be patronizing insinuating she is infantile or, as term of endearment that real lovers would use as a reminder of their mutual affection. Either way, she didn't like it. But her goal here was to get a long with him so she would let it slide.

She quickly switched gears into host mode, "Let me give you a tour." She lead him room to room, each with richly painted walls in colors of deep berry, forest green, mustard yellow or adorned with William Morris floral wallpaper. She chattered as if she was an art docent presenting to a group. There was comfort in the rehearsed conversation topic she had performed for previous guests. She talked through the various art pieces housed by ornate golden frames, making her walls looks like a private museum. She explained where and why she purchased each piece of furniture, vintage bar sign and light fixture with hand crafted metal foliage and flowers entwined with the bulbs, all meticulously curated to create a quirky cozy cabin rather than an urban penthouse. She wanted each room to tell a story and invite guests to learn about the history that was on display. She loved the feeling of walking into a consignment store and being surrounded by objects that had lived lives before coming into hers.