6

Fred figured it all out exactly two weeks later.

'Figured out' sounds like Teddy was hiding something dark or secretive and even if this wasn't the case, he still jumped when Fred Weasley slapped his hands down on the table Teddy was working on in the library, nearly causing him to choke on the chocolate he had been nibbling on.

They hadn't really truly talked since the party. Teddy thought that was because he'd said something that had put the boy off but, he supposed that hadn't been the case at all.

"You're a bloody animagus, aren't you." Fred said. He sounded out of breath, like he had run here.

"Keep your voice down!" Teddy hissed, eyes wide as he made sure no one was within earshot.

Fred smiled wide as Teddy confirmed his suspicions. "So it's true then. That's bloody brilliant." He said.

Teddy sighed, shoulders slumping as his heart retreated back to its natural rhythm. On any other occasion, he would have been able to see Fred coming from a mile away but he must have been so invested in his book that he didn't see the boy coming.

"So, go on then." Fred prodded with an eager smile. He slipped into the chair next to Teddy and looked to him expectedly. "What animal?"

"Why would I tell you that?" Teddy muttered, marking his page before shutting it and stashing it away in his satchel. He knew his efforts to get Fred to drop the subject would be futile. When a Weasley got on an idea, they never dropped it until satisfied.

"Come on. At least tell me how long." Fred urged.

Teddy looked at Fred before sighing. His next words were more of a mumble than anything. "Three years ago." He conceded.

Fred crossed his arms. "That long and I'm only just finding out about this?"

Teddy shrugged. "I don't make a habit of telling people. And I'd appreciate it if you didn't mention it either."

Fred lowered his voice. "You're unregistered?"

"Shh." Teddy hushed him again. Even when he was trying to be quiet, he was still loud. "And yes. I'll register someday after graduation."

He did it to help his father. The other Marauders had become animagi to help his father back when they were in Hogwarts and so when Teddy got older, he decided to do the same so he could help during the summer months when he was home. His father was surely against it at first but Teddy was hearing no objections and went the last month of school with a Mandrake leaf in his mouth before writing his finals and coming home.

No one had questioned his lack of voicing his thoughts as he was usually otherwise quiet.

It became normal to him, being an animagi. But to Fred Weasley, it looked like he had just found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Teddy wished he would just go away but he doubted that would happen.

"Can I at least see?" Fred asked.

Teddy was quick to reply.

"No."

─ ⋆✩⋆ ─

The next day, Fred had taken it upon himself to pester Teddy again.

It was outside this time. The student body, along with the two other schools that had joined Hogwarts for the tournament were on one of their monthly trips to Hogsmeade. 

The air was chilly, hints of the looking winter lurking in the depths of the breeze. 

Thankfully, for Teddy and his affinity for comfy knit sweaters, it was still warm enough that he didn't have to bundle up with layers just to walk outside.