10

Christmas at Hogwarts was always something Teddy associated with in his mind as something truly magical. The air that seemed to dance around the halls were always warm and comforting. Teddy could lounge around all day in pajama pants and his knitted sweaters and have a worry in his mind no more trepidatious than that of wondering what book he was going to read next. 

He was in what could only be described as a jovial mood. Just the past week, he had finished his exams, finished Minnie's transfiguration spell project with Fred, and received word from his dad that he and Sirius had been working on 12 Grimmauld Place to make it resemble something a bit more livable. Teddy promised to visit soon and gladly now chewed on the corner of a chocolate bar Remus had encased in the letter.

Even Cedric Diggory, who had become so engrossed in the triwizard tournament and the upcoming Yule Ball that night had greeted Teddy in the halls. And, by seeing Hufflepuff's golden boy extend warm courtesies to the son of a werewolf, others started greeting Teddy in the halls as well. It seemed that everyone only needed a few months to get over the whole ordeal of last years prison break and forgive Teddy for a role in which he played no part in. 

"Reading on Christmas?" Fred Weasley asked, not so softly easing himself into the seat beside Teddy. He was wearing his outdoor winter clothing despite the warm heat the room exuded. 

They were in the common room, an hour past lunch. Several other students loitered around, talking by the fire, playing board games on the large coffee table. But a number of others had taken the liberty of going to the Great Hall or even outside to converse with their friends in other houses. 

"And what about it?" Teddy replied without looking up. 

Fred let his head fall back. "Oh, nothing." He said. "I just thought you would have had something more... fun planned for Christmas day."

"This is fun." 

"But you could be spending your time doing much better things."

Teddy set down his book and entertained Fred. "Yeah? Like what?"

Fred grinned. "Like accompanying me outside to the Quidditch Pitch and maybe doing something that you don't completely align with..."

"A prank?"

"Well- yes."

"Fred, no."

"Have a little cheer, Teddy."

"I don't prank people." Teddy denied. This, was a lie. Of course, he had pranked people in his lifetime. In fact, he believed himself to be quite good at it. But he wouldn't stoop to such a level as to prank with the Weasley twins. 

"Oh, come on." Fred said. "Nothing mean, I promise. Merlin's Beard its Christmas. Tell me, Teddy. Do I honestly look like the kind of person who would prank someone out of spite on Christmas? It'll be lighthearted. A simple glitter prank or balloons or something fun. At that point, you can't even call it a prank anymore, can you? It's just cheery fun."

Teddy considered it for a moment and then shook his head. "Sorry." Was all he said. 

Fred opened his mouth and looked like he was going to try and persuade him further but then he closed it and shook his head. He spoke quieter now with such a tone that immediately filled Teddy with remorse and regret. "It's fine," Fred said. "Here." He pulled something from the inside of his jacket pocket. "I got you a Christmas gift."

Teddy's mouth went dry as he accepted the parcel that was carefully tied and wrapped in a bow. "I didn't get you anything." He admitted, feeling truly awful. 

"It's alright, love. I didn't expect you to." Fred stood up. "I'll see you later, yeah?"

"Sure," Teddy said, brows furrowed as he watched the boy leave, greet his twin at the portrait doors exit, and disappear.