Chapter Two

Aeros

Aeros knocked on the door three demanding times, holding the manila folder tightly. As he waited on the landing of the second story that led to Eugene Davis's house, he scanned the area in search for any subtle movement in the distance. The still air left the willow trees barely swaying, the few cars sped past as he gazed across the street at the rundown convenience store.

White paint chips cracked down the door, revealing the underlying wood rot. The door opened an inch and Eugene's aged blue eye peeked through, puffy and wrinkled. When it trained on Aeros's face, it widened before the door was hauled open all the way. His stout figure stood at the height of Aeros's chest, hunched and smiling. "Do my eyes deceive me? Aeros Bender? Is that really you?"

"Hello, Mr. Davis."

A deep laugh barreled from his mouth as he opened his arms and wrapped them around Aeros. "What a pleasure!"

A warmth filled his soul that her father remembered him.

Eugene leaned away, keeping his hands on Aeros's arms. "I almost didn't recognize you. You're so tall, fit, and handsome. You've turned out quite dashing, son."

"Thank you," he answered with a flatness in his tone that he hoped would be interpreted as professional.

Eugene turned to the side and gestured a hand into his apartment. "Come in, son."

Aeros fixed his black jacket and stepped into his quaint home. The living room had two tattered couches against the wall, meeting at the corner of the room and a television on a wooden table. The beige carpet was stained with dirt from years of people's shoes. Large windows were covered by ratty blinds to keep the artificial light from the lamp as dim as possible.

"I was hoping to see you in the office last week, but your partner said you it was your day off."

"Is that so? How did you know I was a PI?"

Eugene guided him to the couch where they sat on different sofas nearest to the corner, slightly turned toward each other. "Oh! Dalilah told me a while back."

Surprise hit him as he moved uncomfortably on the sunken cushions. "She did, did she?"

"Yes. She likes keeping tabs on her old friends. Your sister's Olivia, right? She's doing landscaping? Apparently her work is amazing."

"She does," he lied. "How's Dalilah doing?"

"Oh, she's doing great. She moved back into town about a year ago and opened her own little yarn shop downtown. She teaches knitting and crocheting. The kids just love her. And, she does photography. She's won a few contests."

"Impressive. You must be very proud," he said with his tone remaining level.

Eugene smiled while fixing his green polo shirt and kakis over his pot belly. "Oh very." He paused when his eyes flitted to the folder in Aeros's hands. "I-is that," he pointed, "some answers?"

Aeros placed the folder on the wooden coffee table in front of him. Eugene reached for the file, but Aeros slammed his hand down on it. "First. I have some questions."

Eugene retreated and crossed an ankle over his knee. Aeros leaned forward with spread legs and rested his elbows on his knees. "Why did you want us to follow her? What kind of shit are you in?"

"That, may friend, is none of your business."

"It is, or you don't get your answers."

Eugene shifted on the couch and smacked his thin lips. "I am not at liberty to share."

Aeros's teeth clenched, wondering how much information would satisfy him. "Try again."

"Aeros." His eyes fluttered to the ceiling as tears lined his lower lids. "I-I-I owe people money. My time is running out, and they threatened Dalilah's life. I just need to know if they were serious."

"Why would you ever need to take money from one of the most dangerous mafias in America?"

After a swift intake of breath, he scrubbed his face with his hands. "Because I need to secure a lot money. Fast."

"Why?"

He looked back at Aeros with a distinct fury in his eyes. "I answered your question."

Aeros sighed, leaned forward, and fanned out the pictures. "She is being followed by three separate men. Also," he pointed to Dominic, trying to suppress any emotion from seeing them together, "This is Dominic Reynolds. He's a very dangerous man. One of the head guys for the Distlone Mafia. Usually those who hang around him go missing."

"Shit." Eugene visibly went rigid with the news.

"How much do you owe these guys?"

"Too much. More than I have."

Aeros closed the folder and leaned back against the couch, respectfully remaining silent for a moment. "You don't have money to pay us, do you?"

Eugene's glare turned soft. "You two used to be close. I-I-I was kind of hoping because of that you'd—"

"It's fine. I got it covered," he retorted with a sigh. He would slip payment from his own pocket to Lucas and say he had gotten paid. "As long as you pay these guys back and get Dalilah out of whatever mess you're in."

He nodded his head.

Aeros stood, feeling ill at ease about her father's answer as he snatched the folder of evidence.

Eugene followed suit. "Aeros, um, I know I can't pay you, but could you—"

"Her safety can never be promised until you pay them back."

"I know, but I don't know how much time I have left, and I just need to know that someone's out there watching out for her with these men around."

Aeros stepped out the door, knowing his professional answer would stay locked up behind his teeth forever. No, especially because there was no payment in sight. Instead, what rolled off his tongue was, "I'll keep an eye on her."

Relief spread through Eugene's face like he was ready to keel over and die happily right there. "Thank you kindly," he repeated as if he selectively heard only that part.

Witha deep breath, he realized it was time to see Dalilah Davis for the first timein a very long time. And the thought sent his stomach into a chaotic whirlwindof butterfly wings into flight.  

♥︎♥︎♥︎

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Check out my Rapunzel-inspired dark fantasy romance!

URL: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Nicolette-Beebe/author/B08C5MZN8B?ref=ap_rdr&store_ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Thank you kindly!