'tis the damn season

'Tis the Damn Season

SUMMARY; Deciding to befriend the outcast new kid, Alicia Hastings asks Jesse St. James to go holiday shopping with her. As Alicia struggles to know what to get her best friend and Jesse appears at a loss for what to get his girlfriend, they make an alliance to help each other out.

But it wouldn't be the New Directions without spontaneous Christmas duets and mistletoe between friends, would it?

PROMPT; N/A.

PAIRING(S); Alicia Hastings/Jesse St. James, implied Alicia Hastings/Finn Hudson and Jesse St. James/Rachel Berry.

TRIGGER WARNINGS; N/A.

NOTE(S); this is set in love like fools some time shortly after jesse's transfer to the new directions, as sectionals seems to take place in mid to late november! think of it as an explanation for when alicia and jesse are suddenly friends in 1x16.

also, a little bit of retconning - in chapter 17, jesse says he hasn't heard alicia sing before. let's assume he was bluffing to appease rachel.

also-also, if it isn't obvious, this is named after tis the damn season by taylor swift <3 

finally, let me know if you'd like a finn x alicia one shot set during this same period! i'll try to knock that out soon if so. :D

━━━━⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

"Sorry, Goldie Locks, do you mind repeating that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your overwhelming shortness."

Alicia barely repressed the urge to roll her eyes. At this point, the rest of the New Directions had already disbanded, with only Will tidying up scattered sheet music. And Jesse St. James, standing in front of her with a frustratingly superior expression while she tried to be kind. 

But Alicia was known for her patience. She inhaled deeply, forcing her smile to widen. "Would you want to come holiday shopping with me?"

Jesse's eyes narrowed. "Why would I wanna do that?"

From across the room, Alicia noticed Will look towards them with mild distress. But he had nothing to worry about. Alicia knew how to handle herself. Besides, Jesse seemed like an older, more sarcastic version of Rachel. It was nothing she couldn't deal with.

She shrugged, sliding her beloved leather jacket over her shoulders. "Because other than Rachel, it really doesn't seem like the New Directions are warmed up to you yet. It could be nice to have a friend, don't you think?"

"I don't need friends," Jesse snapped.

If that was intended to frighten Alicia off, it did the opposite. "Everyone needs friends," she said softly. 

For just a fleeting moment, something wavered in Jesse's stoic expression. It didn't last long, quickly replaced with an exasperated huff as he crossed his arms. The denim of his expensive jacket pulled up, revealing his forearms. "Well, what makes you think I want to be your friend? Last time I checked, you're short, you're quiet, and you're weirdly close with my girlfriend's ex. That's already three strikes."

"My height is a strike?"

"I've seen teddy bears taller than you."

Alicia set her jaw. Apparently Jesse was an extremely difficult person to talk to. She'd suspected as much, just observing his interactions with Finn and Rachel, but she didn't know that extended towards total strangers, too. But she was nothing if not persistent. "Do you even know what to get Rachel for Christmas?"