F I V E

Manipulated time,
A cryptic game,
Injustice weaves
Its silent claim.
The detective's hunch,
A daring chance,
Unveiling secrets
In a chilling dance.

●○●

Two days later

After hearing about the looming debt,  Evanna felt a growing sense of tension that gripped her like a vice. In the past two days, she pulled out all the stops, reaching out to every contact she believed could help her in this dire situation. To her dismay, she found that many of those who had once professed loyalty to her family and the company now turned their backs on her.

They had pretended to be the company's well-wishers while benefiting from Martin's generosity. Yet, now that he was no longer there to shield the company, they revealed their true colors. It was a stark reminder of the ruthless and fickle nature of the business world, where alliances and loyalties were often built on convenience rather than genuine commitment.

It was a bitter betrayal that stung deeply.

Fury and frustration boiled within Evanna as she faced this unexpected abandonment. She kept the true state of the company hidden from everyone, but if she couldn't secure the funds, she'd have no choice but to reveal it to her family, a prospect she dreaded. Her mother, Mary, had been advised by doctors to avoid any additional stress in her delicate state following her husband's death.

A wave of exhaustion swept over Evanna, despite it being only two days since her father's passing. She couldn't help but wonder how he had managed the business for three long decades.

Suddenly, a sudden urge to check on her mother overtook Evanna. She quietly entered her parents' room, finding her mother sleeping peacefully on the bed. As she approached, Evanna noticed a few dried tears on Mary's face. Her mother clutched a picture in her hand.

With tenderness, Evanna took the photograph and discovered it was a picture of her parents, along with her, captured during the Lawson Company's 30th-anniversary celebration. They all wore happy, contented expressions. Evanna gently traced the image, whispering softly,
"I wish you were here to guide me, Dad."

As she gently set the photograph on the bedside table, Evanna turned to leave the room, but just then, Mary stirred from her sleep.
"Eva? Is that you, sweety?"

Evanna approached her mother's bedside with a tender smile.

Mary's eyes adjusted to the light, and she saw her daughter's caring expression.
"Oh, my love, it's you."
She tried to sit up with some effort, and Evanna quickly offered assistance.

"Yes, Mom, I'm here,"
Evanna said as she helped her mother sit up against the pillows.

Mary looked around the room, her eyes filled with a mix of nostalgia and grief.
"I had a dream about your father,"
She admitted.

Evanna sat beside her, holding her hand gently.
"What was it about, Mom?"

"We were dancing together, just like we used to."
Mary's voice trembled with emotion. "We danced to our song, the one we played at our wedding."

A wave of nostalgia swept across Evanna's features, and a gentle smile played on her lips.
"I remember that song, Mom."
As a child, she had rewatched her parents' wedding footage countless times, etching every detail into her memory.

Mary's eyes teared up as she gazed at her daughter.
"I miss him so much, Eva."

Evanna fought back her own tears, embracing her mother.
"I miss him too, Mom."