S E V E N

In shadows deep,
Secrets unfold,
Where truth is veiled,
Atale is told.
Ambiguity lingers,
A silent song,
Mysteries entwine,
Weaving strong.
In the dance of shadows,
The enigma thrives on.

●○●

The morning sun gently filtered through the curtains, accompanied by the soothing melody of birdsong. As Evanna awoke, confusion clouded her mind as she found herself laying on the bed.

She wondered how she had transitioned from the car to her bed?

Her gaze fell upon Alan, who, in an uncomfortable position, was sleeping on the floor with his head resting on the edge of her bed. Glancing at his sleeping form, she pondered whether he had carried her to bed. Recollections of her tearful night flooded back and a deep sense of gratitude for Alan's presence washed over her.

When she was in her thoughts, Alan woke up.
"Morning! How are you feeling now?"
He asked with a hint of concern in his sleepy eyes.

Instead of replying, Evanna stepped back from her thoughts and gave her full attention to him.
"How did I get here?"

"You fell asleep in the car, so I carried you."
He replied, his voice still laced with the remnants of deep slumber.

"Then?"

"Huh?"

"You took me inside, I get that, but what are you doing here? You could have gone to your room."
She said, scanning his face where his messy hair framed his features under the sunlight.

"I wanted to, but you didn't let me go." He replied, hesitating a bit, making her frown.

"What do you mean I didn't -"
She stopped as her eyes went to their joint hands. She had slept the whole night holding his hand, and even now, unconsciously, she was grabbing it. As soon as she realized it, her eyes widened in embarrassment, and she immediately let go of his hand before getting out of bed.

Without meeting his eyes, she cleared her throat, feigning nonchalance.
"I need to wash up."

Alan also stood up before replying,
"Sure. Go on. I'll see you downstairs later then."
He left her room, feeling a bit cramped from the uncomfortable sleeping position.

•••

As soon as Evanna got out from freshening up, she was met with a worried Mary waiting in her room.

“Eva, my daughter! Are you alright?”
Seeing her daughter, Mary went to her before hugging her.

“I'm fine, mom. I'm fine now.”
Passing her a reassuring smile, Eva said tightening the hug.

Mary pulled back, cupping Evanna's face in her hands.
"I heard about what happened. Are you sure you're okay? Did that man hurt you?"

Evanna shook her head.
"No, Mom, I'm fine. Alan came just in time, and we managed to escape."

Mary sighed, a mix of relief and concern in her eyes.
"I can't bear the thought of anything happening to you, Eva. Losing your father was already too much.”

"I know, Mom. I'm doing everything I can to handle things, but it's overwhelming.”
Wiping the tears of her mother's face, she added.
“Mom, don't cry, please.”