Chapter 1: Miss Storm

I put his shirt on myself.

"It's a bit big on you," Cal said.

"Just a bit," I said, swinging the excess sleeves around. There was a good seven or eight inches of sleeves left.

I threw the shirt at him, and he began to put it on himself.

I found my new uniform. Gisa had made it, at the request of Command. The uniform fit me well, both physically and aesthetically. The coat was long, practically a leather dress. It was a deep scarlet, almost black. Violet lightning bolts decorated the shoulders, front, and back. The zipper only went from my neck to my hips, even though the thing extended to my ankles. It was lined with more violet, and all of the metal was silver.

It was meant to represent all types of blood- my purple stood for newbloods, for which I had become the "poster girl" according to Farley. The red and silver were obvious.

"You start today?" He asked, grumpy at the sight of it.

"Well, don't sound too excited," I said teasingly. I put on the parts of the uniform nobody but soldiers on the battlefield would see. Well, them and Cal. It was dark grey, meant to be neutral. I slipped into my boots before Cal decided to respond.

"You'll become even more of a target than you are. You've been elevated to general. Not of just the Guard, but of the Alliance Forces. And now you're going to be the Champion of Equality. Both of those are reasons the Cygnets have to try and capture or kill you." Cal said.

"Kill. I will ensure that, from now on, people know to not trust anything I say at the command of a monarch. I would rather be beheaded than lead more innocents into slaughter." I said, remembering how Maven forced me to bring him hundreds of Newbloods. Something I had not yet forgiven myself for, even when the Montfortans themselves publicly forgave me yesterday, before promoting me.

"Besides, that rank of general comes with protections. I am finally going to know things, which means my capture is not an option. Neither is the capture of my family, who could be used as leverage. They already have bodyguards of their own." As I said it, I remembered Evangeline was likely on the other side of the door.

"Yes, well, you're not the kind of general to sit in a command room while soldiers die at your command. You'll be in frontlines, where your bodyguards will have a much harder time protecting you." There was no question in it. He knew I would never risk the lives of soldiers under my command without taking the same risk.

"I believe that quality is what earned me my other job," I said, zipping up the coat to make my point.

"Your beauty probably won't hurt the cause. I'm sure a few men will join with the hopes of simply meeting you." Cal said.

"I am as beautiful as any common Red girl," I said.

"Not to me. To me, you look... Powerful. There's a reason everybody cowers when you enter a room. It's the same reason they get quiet when thunder booms over your head, or when sparks dance across you."

"Perhaps when we feed those Red girls a proper meal, their beauty will return to them," I suggested. He nodded.

"Perhaps it will. Not that it could change my stance on this matter." He said. He gently tucked my hair behind my ear. I leaned into his palm, his heat pulsing into my head comfortably.

"I'm going to be late. What a great message that will send to the world- Mare Barrow has better things to do than help them."

"Just... Be careful, Mare. We all need you." He said.

"I can promise that much." I agreed. Cal opened the door, and we stepped out.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Took you long enough, Barrow," Evangeline said as we walked to the People's Gallery.

"I figured you would like some time with Elane. How is she?" I asked.

"How is Cal?" She asked in response. I smirked.

"I hate you, Samos," I said joyfully. She smiled.

"Right back at you, Barrow."

I have no clue how she and I went from bitter rivals to unspoken friends, but it works. The only difference is that the insults are now just playful jabs, and we defend each other.

We walked into the lobby, and talking quieted.

"It never gets old." She said. I looked at her. "You walking into a room. I don't know if it's on purpose or not, but you always manage to grab everyone's attention. They always give you a wide berth."

"Or maybe they are giving you a wide berth, so as not to give you a reason to unleash those needles and blades."

"Don't play humble. It started long before I was your guardian. It started even before you grew a backbone."

"She's right, you know," Julian said, walking up to us. He gave me a kind smile, which I returned. "And that's without mentioning your new title, name, and coat."

I looked at my coat, spreading my hands and my long, fingerless scarlet gloves.

"I guess I do look the part, don't I?" I said. "I even allowed Gisa to do my make-up, to Evangeline's great annoyance," I smirked.

"But I understand, of course, that it must take a while to make this one presentable." She bit back. I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Mare Barrow and Evangeline Samos, friends. What a world." Julian said, a smile across his face.

"Yes, well, I plan on being happy as long as I can. Which may not be much longer." I said.

"A worthy endeavor, General." He said. Farley came up to me next. Clara walked by her side. I hugged Farley before taking a knee in front of Clara and embracing her.

"Good morning, little rascal. Have you been behaving?" I ask, pulling away but keeping my hands on her shoulders.

"Yes." She said, shaking her head no with a mischievous smile. The smile reminded me so much of her father. My smile wavered, but for her sake, I kept it.

"Good. I'll have to reward you. I learned about a treat they have here, called Solid Snow. It's sweeter than cake and perfect for summer days. But, it's a tricky thing. Eat it too slow, and it will melt all over you and get you sticky!" I said, attacking her with tickles. She fought me off, laughing. "But, if you eat it too fast, it'll hurt your head. Not too much, but it's not pleasant. Next time I get the chance, we can get you some, yeah?" She nodded.

I stood up to talk to Farley. "I'll pay for it, don't worry."

"Oh, that was never a question." She said, the corners of her mouth betraying her act.

"How've you been?" I asked. She looked at Clara, who met her eyes.

"Never better." She said with a smile. Clara giggled and swayed on her mother's arm, turning her eyes to me.

"Can I get a coat like yours?" Clara asked.

"You most certainly can!" Gisa said, coming up behind me. My family strode in behind her. We took turns hugging. Even Farley joined in after being convinced by Clara.

We settled in a circle. "I'll make you a better one," Gisa said.

"I hope it's not too much better." I looked at Clara with a smile. "I might have to wear that one instead."

"It won't fit you!" She said, matter-of-factly. My family laughed at my expense, and I laughed with them. We quieted down eventually.

"I think it's about to start," I said, my smile fading as I noticed people filing into the meeting hall.

Their smiles also faded, even Clara's. "Are you sure you're ready?" My mother asked. I knew why she was asking. My first speech demanded a hefty price to gain trust. I have been used as a mouthpiece before, and they needed to know they could trust me. For that, they need to know why I lied.

"Am I ready to relive the worst months of my entire life? No. But I must. For the sake of millions of Reds and Newbloods, I must." I said, looking across them. "Besides, you all have my back. If I cannot continue... Gisa, I've told you all of it. You can finish where I left off if the need arises." I said. She gave a nod.

We marched into battle.