𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:❝︎Progress❞︎

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
❝︎Progress❞︎

THEODORA LOVED WAKING UP THE ARMS OF HER LOVER. It was something she'd never experienced before and the more she experienced it the more she grew to love it. When he wasn't gone in the early hours of the day to go on missions, Clint Barton would lay there with her as long as he could. Clint woke up first, his arms around Theo with her head laying on his chest. Her hands were free of her gloves and there was a comfort knowing she could feel him without having to experience the horrors of what he's had the misfortune of witnessing. She looked so peaceful when she was sleeping. She hadn't had nightmares in several weeks which was an accomplishment. Knowing that he was bringing her some form of peace was all he could ever ask for.

Clint Barton was head over heels in love with her. He would never want anyone again, because she was everything he had dreamed of. The talk about family and marriage from the night before was all he needed to know that she felt the exact same. He would marry her right now if she would let him. When Theo stirred in his arms, a hair fell in her face. Carefully, he reached forwards and moved the dark strand and he watched as her eyes fluttered open.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty." Clint whispered. Theo hummed in response and closed her eyes again, moving closer to him if that were even possible. It made a smile pull on his face.

"No mission?" Theo mumbled.

"Not so far."

"We should probably take advantage of this."

"Probably," Clint agreed.

Theo laid there for another moment before forcing herself to sit up. She looked at him for a moment before giving him small smile. "I'm going to take a shower, you're welcome to join me."

"Say no more." Clint stood up and quickly took her up on her offer.

When they were both showered and ready for the day, they decided to go out. They walked around New York for a little while before deciding on a nice place to eat. Theodora sat there with her food, a smile playing on her lips. She was really enjoying herself. It wasn't too often that she and Clint got to truly spend a day together, and although she had a feeling it would be interrupted, she couldn't help but be thankful for the time that they were currently being given.

"You look deep in thought," Clint commented, grabbing her attention.

Theo looked up from her food and offered him a small smile, shaking her head. "I'm just happy is all. Enjoying the moment while it lasts."

"There will be plenty of moments." Clint assured her.

"I know that." Theo nodded. "I'm just letting myself exist in the happiness." She sat down her drink after taking a sip from it, crossing her arms over the table. She looked at Clint, shaking her head slightly. "You know, all of my life I've been miserable. I've always been scared of what I can do, hell I'm still scared of it. I've always blamed myself for everything that's went wrong in my life. It got to a point where I just couldn't live like that anymore. And then Nick Fury discovers where I'm hiding and sends an assassin to come and get me, to bring me from the shadows. Since then. . . since meeting you. . . I think this is the happiest that I have ever been in my entire life. So, thank you."

"Technically, it was all Fury's doing." Clint pointed out.

Theo rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but I refuse to thank that man for anything." Clint managed a small laugh at the before his phone began to buzz. Theo sighed. "That is why I will never thank him. He keeps taking you away from me."

"And I always come back to you."

"Do you have to go?"

"Would you defy Nick Fury?"

She pursed her lips at the thought before nodding. "Okay, understandable." Clint paid for their food, despite Theo's protest, and the two stood up and left. She wished that he could just stay, that he didn't have to leave, but that was his job. Theo knew what she was signing up for when she began dating him, she just wished that he wasn't gone all of the time. Sometimes his missions would only last a day, other times he would be gone for a week. However long it took to complete the mission was how long he would be away from her.

They made it back to the S.H.I.E.L.D. compound and Theo went to her and Clint's room whilst Clint went to Fury for more details of his mission. She sat there on the bed, staring at her hands. It suddenly dawned on her that this was the first time that she'd went in public without her gloves on. A smile bloomed on her face. This was progress. The door opened and Theo listened as his footsteps grew closer to her until she saw his feet standing on the floor in front of her. She looked up and the smile was still on her face. Clint gave her a questioning look and she held up her bare hands. "I went out in public without my gloves."

Immediately Clint smiled. "Theo, I'm so proud of you."

"I didn't even notice until I came back to the room." Lowering her hands she looked up at Clint. "How long will you be gone?"

The smile fell from his lips. "I don't know. A week or two. Maybe longer."

"Longer?" Theo whispered, a frown on her face.

"I'll try to come back as soon as possible." He leaned down, placing a gentle kiss to her lips. "I will come back," he promised.

Theo looked at him for a moment before nodding her head. "Just be careful."

"I will."

Giving her one last kiss, Clint gathered his things before leaving the room. Theo sat there on the bed looking down at her hands. Progress.

 Progress