you have a nightmare

You sat up in bed, taking in quick breaths as your heart pounded against your chest.

You just awoke from a very bad dream and you can still feel the fear from it coursing through your veins.

You looked over at Alycia, breathing out a sigh of relief when you heard her breathing softly as she slept.

Burying your head in your hands, you tried to take some deep breaths and forget all about the nightmare you had.

You remember being chased.

You tried so hard to outrun the person that was chasing you but it felt as though you were moving in slow motion while they moved fast.

You remember seeing the weapon in your hands and eventually bumping into Alycia along the way and the person chasing after you ended up going after her.

And just when you watched the person start to attack her, just as they made contact with your sweet girlfriend, you woke up.

It was a horrible dream and it's still lingering with you now, even though you're awake and safe and sound.

The feeling of a hand falling gently on your back made you jump and a gasp left your lips.

You looked over to see Alycia sitting up and turning the lamp on before she rubbed her tired eyes and looked at you in concern.

"Are you okay, baby? It's almost two in the morning. Why are you up?"

"I had a nightmare." You said before wiping the beads of sweat off your forehead. "I'm okay, baby. Just go back to sleep."

"When you're this shaken up? Not possible." She said before pulling you into her arms. "Do you want to talk about it?"

You felt her lips brush softly across your shoulder and you let out a shaky sigh.

"Not really. I'd much rather just forget about it." You spoke.

"Okay, baby, that's alright. But if you change your mind, I'll listen."

You nodded and relaxed into her embrace.

"I've got you. You're okay now."

You focused on the brush of her hand across your back and the feeling of her lips touching your shoulder and your head.

She was trying to soothe you and make you forget all about that terrible dream you had.

"I love you so much. You know that, right?" You said.

"I do." She smiled. "And I love you too."

For the next few minutes, you sat there in her arms as she held you close and kissed all your worries and fears away.

But, finally, you felt the weight lift from your shoulders and you slowly forgot about everything.

"Do you want to lay back down?" She asked.

"Yeah." You said and laid down on the bed with her arms wrapped around you.

"I've got you, baby. Relax, get some sleep. It was only a dream. I promise I won't let anyone hurt you." She whispered as she kissed your head.

You turned your head and stole a few kisses from her lips, making her smile against yours.

"Don't let me go for the rest of the night." You said as you closed your eyes.

"I won't ever let you go, my love. I promise. You're safe with me, always."