Chapter Eleven

Colby sat up quickly, feeling the comfort of the soft sheets around him. He was in bed, the silk pink sheets running underneath the tips of his fingers as he caressed the material. He looked down at his chest, noticing that his previous black t-shirt was replaced with a white button up, the top button left undone. He glanced over to the living room, noticing that there was light coming from the other room. He carefully got up, holding onto his head as it throbbed loudly. 

"Hello? Who's there?" Colby walked into the warm living room, a girl placing something into the oven. She turned quickly, Colby quickly realizing it was the same girl from his dream. It was her. "It's you." he said breathlessly. 

"I hope you're feeling better, Colby." His name rolled off her tongue like a melody. "I apologize for having to undress you, I wanted to leave your shirt out to dry as it got a little wet." She carefully smoothed out the material onto the counter in the middle of the kitchen. 

"I missed you." Colby sighed, watching her carefully as she bent down to remove the cookies from the oven. She was wearing a yellow gown today, her hair flowing loosely down her shoulders. 

"How could you have missed me, we barely know each other." She giggled softly, Colby memorizing every sound that came out of her mouth. 

"Why won't you tell me more about yourself, since you know so much about me." Colby moved closer to her, leaning against the kitchen island.

"I'm a very private woman, I don't offer my information up to strange men." She crossed her arms, pouting her bottom lip out slightly as Colby chuckled. 

"Well, I'm not strange, am I really?" She giggled louder this time as Colby shook his head playfully. "I'm not strange, that's not nice." He teased her. 

"Stop, stop! You'll make me hiccup!" She laughed, Colby silently wishing that she would begin to hiccup, he could only imagine how cute they would sound. "Who I am isn't important, Mr. Brock." She batted her eyelashes. 

"Is that true, Ms. Hawthorne?" Colby asked as she paused, taken aback that he knew her name. Was she angry at me? Would she leave now? 

"You are quite tricky." She remained reserved, placing the cookies on the table in the middle of the living room. "Would you like some?" She glanced down as Colby moved closer towards her, their bodies only inches apart. 

"I want to know more about you, Cora." He whispered softly as she smiled, looking into his eyes as Colby's knees almost gave out. Her eyes weren't just green, they were nostalgic, holding the promise of spring and nature. 

"Eat my cookies, and I'll think about it." She grinned. Colby sat down on the couch, taking a bite into the soft and chewy cookie. It was the best thing Colby had ever tasted, the sugar and salt perfectly balancing each other out. "Do you like it?" She hummed nervously. 

"I love it, Cora." He grinned, enjoying using her name. He liked how it sounded coming out of his mouth and how it suited her so much. "So how old are you, twenty?" He asked as Cora gasped. 

"Do I look that old?" She placed a hand to her chest, biting back a smile. "I'm nineteen." She bent down, picking up a napkin that had dropped to the ground. There was something about her that was so appealing, her mannerisms and respectfulness. Colby adored her demeanor so much. 

"You look beautiful." Colby said without thinking, his face heating up quickly. 

"Thank you, Colby. You know, you're not too bad yourself-" Cora turned her head quickly, looking towards the door. Colby looked in the direction, not hearing anything. "You have to get back in bed, quick." Colby stood up as she shoved him towards her bedroom. 

"I don't want to leave." He whined as Cora pulled the sheets back, unbuttoning his shirt quickly as she ran to the kitchen, grabbing his black shirt and handing it to him. 

"Put it on, please Colby. It's time to go. I'll see you again, I know it." She held his hand tightly, taking the white shirt and quickly placing it in the drawer, glancing back at Colby. "Go to sleep." She whispered, Colby's eyelids growing heavy as he plummeted into darkness.