Chapter 13

Next morning, a warm sun rose and breezes free of dust, thanks to yesterday's storm, brushed my skin. I was meandering my way out of the mess dome. Revived after a few cups of Jan, my clear-eyed gaze landed on Dan, who had just emerged from the infirmary appearing hale and hearty. He spotted me and unleashed a grin. Apparently, his exam had gone well.

Noting his long strides, arms swinging in tandem, I could easily guess where he was headed. Yep. He parked his no longer scrawny body in my path.

I eyed him, gaze slanted upward from a partially crinkled brow. "You've recovered by leaps and bounds, I see." Pun intended.

He bent over, like a semi-bow, with arms spread wide, shirt tightening over lean pectorals. "Reporting for duty."

I crossed my arms, wrist connected to cup tucking under one arm. Sure, that made sense, except, "Shouldn't your Guard members being saying that to you?"

Without a glance back, he jerked his head toward Frank and Pam, exiting the infirmary and heading in opposite directions. "They have their assignments."

Considering the fact I no longer loathed his presence, the prospect of having him near didn't sound terrible. But he had to see reason. Duty called and his was elsewhere. "As I recall, we're somewhat limited in our protection staff."

His jaw flexed then broke loose. "I'm well aware, and taking precautions as I see fit."

Fine, I'd stop telling him how to do his job. But my shoulders went up, palm out and then a roll of the wrist, encouraging him to burst forth with an explanation. As if he had to answer to me. Well, he had reported to me.

"We need to get your machine set for the next round of patients. Once we've got them in prime condition, we'll have considerably more protection staff, and staff for all other departments as well."

My eyes widened a touch. As of yet, I hadn't considered the implications of my creation. Honestly, my priority had been Dan. Twinges of regret weighed me down, for not thinking about the others. But in helping one out of the bunch, I might have really helped all of them. Hell yeah, I had to get my tool ready. But it wasn't a cure. After all, Dan had been shifting into puma form for a while now and he still got sick. The health care team would have to continue their research. Until then, maybe my KATS could give everyone a fighting chance.

"I'll show you the ropes," I finally said, and pivoted on my foot, no longer meandering but heading straight for my covered work area. "I might even let you make adjustments based on your recent experience," I tossed back.

His long legs eliminated the distance between us. "It does pull to the right a bit," he mused.

Ha, ha. I rolled my eyes.

***

A mere several hours later, with doctor's approval, we wheeled out our next guinea pig, Julie, one of the settlement's farmers/fish herders. Shadows had dug permanent pits under her eyes. A slight glaze coated her brown eyes. She'd been surviving and not thriving for far too long. One of the first to fall sick. How did she feel about shifting into a cat?

A wane smile curved pale lips. "More of a dog person," she rasped.

"There's the spirit." I winked and then stepped back.

Under Dr. Lance's supervision, and my guidance, Dan maneuvered her into the elliptical, wind tunnel tool. We had meat standing by, in hopes of success. Sweat beaded down my back, probably from the growing heat of the day, not nervousness at all. Breezes had ceased to stir the now dry air.