Celebration

TWO WEEKS LATER: EARLY AUGUST 2013

M A L I K

"Mama! Look," I damn near fell as I ran to the kitchen. I shoved my first check in her hand watching as her eyes went wide at the number.

"$3400? Whur the hell you work at?"

Oh shit. Let me make something up.

"I uh—at this big company,"

"What company?" I forgot my mama is nosy as hell.

"A company that makes cars and shit," I lied.

"Mmm, okay. Well, I'm happy for you Malik. You can finally move out,"

I smacked my lips, "Man, you know youn want me ya move out,"

"Yes, the hell I do. I like to have sex, Malik," I immediately scrunched my face up in disgust.

"What the fuck?" I spoke walking out of the kitchen.

"How you think you got hur, boy!" She yelled as I ran up the stairs to my room. I can't listen to that shit no more, or I'll throw up.

I sat on the edge of my bed and stared at the check. A smile spread across my face. I felt so accomplished; like I was finally taking steps towards being the man I wanted to be. 

An incoming Facetime call broke me from my staring, and of course, it was the familiar face I'd grown to call one of my homies.

"Wassup, Trevon," I smiled. He had his phone propped up on his desk, and I saw him in a button-up that damn near looked too tight and some glasses. Since when did he wear glasses?

"You blind, nigga?" I asked, and he laughed at my question.

"Yeah, but I normally got my contacts in," he chuckled, and I nodded at his answer.

"Look what I got," I cheesed, putting my check in the camera.

He gave me a big smile, showing all his perfect teeth. "I'm proud of you, Malik,"

Damn, that almost made my heart skip a beat. What's wrong with me...I smiled back at him. "Thank, you"

"But the reason I called is to tell you some good news."

"Okay," I repositioned myself so that I was lying on my back, resting my head on my hand.

"Well, you and Barbie's video is doing amazing, like way better than normal for a newbie,"

My smile grows bigger at the news, and I feel proud of myself for the first time in a very long time.

"So, congratulations on that, and y'all should be getting some nice royalties from it. And, because it's your first film, and it did so well, me and Jessica planned a little gathering at the local bar fa tonight if you up for it,"

"Hell, yeah I am," I smiled. "Thank, you,"

"You welcome, Malik. You deserve it,"