The One I Love Part One: Malik's Last Attempt

A WEEK LATER: MID-SEPTEMBER

M A L I K

"Did you get them flowers I sent you, baby?" I asked Tasha on the phone.

"Yeah, thank you—I can't believe you remembered my favorite flowers were lilies," she giggled.

"Of course, I remember, baby. I damn remember everything about you,"

"Boy, please," she smacked her lips laughing.

"It's the truth, LaTasha,"

"Mmhmm,"

"Let me take you out today, baby,"

"Malik,"

"Just the day, during yo shift, say you sick or sum,"

"I-I can't do that, Malik," she stuttered.

"Please, baby. I just wanna prove that I'm really about you...that I really wanna be witchu, and I ain't goin' no whur," she stayed quiet and listened to me talk which was a good sign that she was listening to what I had to say. "I just wanna get a house witchu, Madison—future babies," I chuckled and I heard her laugh too although she tried to suppress it. "Private chef, nanny, maid—we travelin' all ova the world n shit. Let me make that happen, Tasha,"

She didn't speak for a moment before she let out a "Okay," which made me smile from ear to ear. "Come n get me now, we got until midnight, Malik, no later and I'm serious,"

"Woohoo!" I jumped in the air. I know my old homies laughing at me hard as fuck right now, but I don't care. If there's anything Tre taught me, it's to be earnest and go after what you want without concern for other's opinions.

"You are so extra, Malik," she giggled. "Hurry up, so I can see what you been doin' in that gym," she spoke with seduction in her voice, making me bite my lip.

"Imma show you somethin' else I been workin' on,"

"Stop it!" she giggled.

"You definitely gon' be beggin' me ya do that later. I promise you et,"

"Malik,"

"Wassup, baby?"

"Hurry yo ass up,"

"Say less," I hung up the phone.

...

I parked in the parking lot of her job. She worked as a manager at Target. Bougie ass store. Just go ta Walmart for the same shit, but cheaper.

I called her to let her know I was outside, and a few minutes later, I saw a short, thick, brown skin girl, with a messy bun and a red T-shirt.

I smiled big watching as her eyes lit up when she saw my car.

"How did you get this hoe?" she asked when she got into my driver's seat, but I just stared at her smiling.

"You fine as fuck, girl,"

She rolled her eyes. "I look a mess, Malik,"