Chapter 7 - An Angel

Song - Pompeii (Bastille)

"Squawk!"

The sudden sound and rustling beside me stirred me from my slumber.

"Hey! Get out of here!" Tom hissed, flailing his arms to scare a swarm of crows pecking at our packs.

I groaned while rubbing my eyes. The blinding daylight made my brain ache. I sat up from my sleeping spot. Beside me, on my left, Minho shifted to sit up on his elbows. He had shuffled close to me during the night. I was glad for the extra warmth and protection from the freezing and sleepless night. I already was curled up in Newt's arms, and Thomas then cradled the boy's back. I had spent most of the night listening to the crank's screams, feeling Minho's rapid heartbeat on my back, and watching Tom run his fingers through Newt's blonde hair, slowly sending my brother to sleep, impossible for us other three. I don't think I fell asleep until the cranks had gone silent and Minho gently stroked my hair until I drifted into a restless slumber.

Tom got up from his place beside Newt and stood up.

"Are they gone?" My brother asked while too, sitting up beside me. He brushed a lone lock of blonde hair dangling over my face behind my ear. I smiled at him gently. He matched my expression. Almost identical. Like brother like sister.

"Yeah, I think we are safe for now. Okay, we should get moving," he indicated while grabbing his pack off the ground. "Let's pack it up,"

I heard groans and shifts from the others. I saw Teresa rolling her neck back and forth, blinking in the sunlight. Newt stood up and then Minho followed. He stretched and extended an arm out for me. I took his hand and he heaved me up. I stretched my neck before heaving my backpack on my shoulders and following Thomas over the pile of rubble. Once we finally scrambled to the top of the pile, did we finally see where the hell we were.

A city.

A city in ruins. Skyscrapers crumbled and worn like skeletons. Sand streaming into every nook and cranny. Abandoned cars consume the destroyed roads.

I swallowed as Tom and the others moved forward, before following them down onto the street.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Fry murmured while we trekked through the streets of the abandoned city.

"I don't know... but it doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time," Newt muttered in response. I followed behind him. Scanning the landscape surrounding me. It didn't feel real. For us to be the only ones left in this massive city.

"I hope the whole world isn't like this," Aris gulped.

"I've got a funny feeling telling me that the whole world is most likely like this," I sighed.

Minho nodded in agreement.

"Woah, woah woha. Hang on stop," Thomas ordered from behind us. We hadn't noticed him stop walking.

We all turned to look at him.

"Do you hear that?" He murmured. 

We fell silent, craning our ears. For a moment all I heard was the sound of wind billowing and my breath. But then a familiar chopping filled the air.

"Get down! Everybody hide!" Tom ordered as the others registered what was going on.

I did a three-sixty on the spot as everyone frantically ran around trying to find a spot.

"Fuck, where?" I cursed.

"In there!" Tom yelled pointing to a fallen piece of cement creating a roof for all of us to sit under. Thomas grabbed my hand and pulled me under with the others. We sat silent hearing the whirring get louder and louder until a massive Wicked aircraft and two additional helicopters flew over our heads and further into the city beyond. When it passed our eyeline we all blew a sigh of relief.