Chapter 22 - End

Song - Constellations (The Oh Hellos)

"We have come a long way together. So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible,"

Vince stood before us, illuminated by the glow of the bonfire. The rest of us, which was about two hundred people ranging from kids to a handful of older people, sat in the central meeting area we had built.

Gally sat beside me. Newt and Thomas on my other side. Brenda, Fry, Minho, Sonya, Harriet, Aris, and Jorge behind us.

"Your friends and your family. So, here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost,"

Vince lifted his cup to the sky. We all copied him. Gally sent a smile in my direction while grasping my other hand.

"This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this, this is for them,"

He pointed to the large rock that had been placed on the grass just before the sand.

"So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace,"

He stuck a knife into the wood in front of him,

"And welcome to the Safe Haven!"

We all cheered and shouted in celebration. Gally hugged me closer as Minho made an extremely loud screaming noise in glee making us all whoop even loud and laugh hysterically.

Later in the night, I walked up with Gally to the rock, our hands interlocked. I pulled out a dagger from one of my pockets. I handed it to Gally.

He took the knife.

And carefully carved Chuck's name onto the rock.

I watched a silent tear fall down his cheek. I held onto his arm and put my head on his shoulder.

"He deserves to be here..." He whispered.

"I know... but so do you,"

We watched Frypan carve Winston's name.

And Newt carve Alby's.

Thomas walked up to where Gally and I had sat a little farther away.

He motioned with his head towards the rock. I knew what he was talking about.

I stood and together we walked to the rock, now almost full of carved names.

He handed me the knife.

I held it firmly in my hand and walked up to the rock. And just like I had written my name in the maze all that time ago, I carved Teresa's.

Once I finished, I took a step back, Thomas then placing his arm around my shoulders.

"She would be so happy we made it," Thomas murmured.

"Yeah...I just wish things would have ended better..." I whispered.

He kissed me on the top of my head,

"Come on, let's just be happy and have a good time tonight... okay?"

I smiled,

"I can do that,"

The past couple of days had gone by in a blur. A blur of anxiety... waiting for Newt and Thomas to wake up. And business. Setting up the entire camp in a few days.

But now... we could finally celebrate together.

Frypan had already appointed himself cook, so now he was serving up dinner all over again like he had back in that maze. And this time he had access to spices and herbs... so he was going mad in that kitchen.