Chapter 15 - The Right Arm

Song - Out Of The Woods (Taylors Version) - Taylor Swift  

Aris gasped in disbelief as they closed the gap between them and the girl almost jumped into his arms.

"My god! What the hell are you doing here?" She cried before pulling away and letting the other girl step forward.

"Sonya,"

"Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot your dumb ass," Sonya babbled while wrapping him into a tight hug Aris's face alight in disbelief, "You alright?" Sonya asked him,

Aris pulled away from her to look at both girls.

"How?"

"Uh... what's happening?" Minho questioned still with his hands in the air, like the rest of us.

"We were in the maze together,"

Harriet walked towards the edge of the canyon and put two fingers in her mouth. A clear piercing whistle came from it,

"We're clear guys! Come on out!" She bellowed.

Echoes and faint voices of men came from the taller parts of the canyon as several armed fighters emerged on the rock formations.

"What the hell is going on?" I muttered to no one in particular but Minho glanced at me and gave me a look telling me he felt the same.

Sonya gripped both sides of Aris's face and smiled in disbelief.

"My god, you're alive," she breathed.

I raised my eyebrow at the interaction. Sonya pulled away,

"Come on, follow us,"

She and Harriet started walking further along the road with their guns slung across their shoulders. Harriet looked over her shoulder at the rest of us,

"Oh, and you can put your hands down now," She sniped, still smiling.

We all quickly dropped our arms and glanced at Thomas. He followed the girls and Aris, so we followed behind him.

"Back it up Joe!" Sonya called as we walked through a tunnel dug out from the rock.

"Back it up!" Joe called back from the interior of a heavily armored truck covering the exit of the tunnel. The truck reversed, revealing a handful of other people in uniform milling around the mini base.

"We're taking them to base," Harriet told a man also holding a gun. He nodded.

"Wait so how did you guys get here?" Aris asked the girls as they led us to a collection of vehicles.

"The Right Arm got us out," Harriet responded casually.

Wait. Right Arm?

I glanced at Thomas, Minho, and Newt. All seemed just as astounded as me.

"Wait, wait. The right arm? Do you know where they are?" Tom asked Harriet as she stopped by the side of a jeep. She opened the door with a smile,

"Hop in,"

I inhaled sharply.

No way. After all this. After everything. It's just this easy now?

And before I knew it was squashed in between Thomas and Minho in the back of a car once again speeding through the desert. Except this time, no American Pie filling our ears. Just a tense but anticipating silence. And also this time, the desert vegetation thickened over time as we headed further and further into the mountains, and the sand dunes shifted to dirt hills filled with shrubs and burnt grass.