The Darkness

The Darkness

The Darkness slithered under my door late last night. It crept in, filling the empty rooms in my home. It started slowly, carefully searching as it went. It was seeking what it needed.

It seemed to taste the air, like a snake searching for its prey. It glided slowly through the dark corners of the dwelling.

The atmosphere changed as its aura mingled with it, coating my home with a rich murkiness. Electricity seemed to crackle in the air as the Darkness made its way closer to its destination.

I sat there and listened as it came, staring deep into the dancing flames of my fireplace. It was only a matter of time now.

I let out a breath as I felt the dark energy brush out against my skin. It had found me. Now the only thing left between the Darkness and I was a few more steps.

I turned and watched as it swept into the room. It caused the air to shimmer around me, distorting the ambiance I had created. Even the flames seemed to tremble at its presence.

The Darkness crept to my side and looked up at me.

I put my hand out, letting my fingers caress its dark form.

It let out a deep sigh before curling up at my feet.

As I watched it lay its head on one of my slippers, a smile crept across my lips. “Welcome home, boy.”