𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹

𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚞𝚌𝚔?

The sound of my gear clicking was loud, I flew around, doing a backflip as I neared the ground.

My stab wound healed up nicely, only leaving a faint scar. While it was healing they taught me how to use the gear, which was utter torture.

___

"Get up." Levi stood over me as I laid flat on my back, the scrapes covering my arms. "Give me a minute... fuck..." I groaned, using my forearm to cover my eyes.

He kicked me, gently, but the pain went through my whole body because of him kicking where the cut was.

I nearly screamed at the shooting pain. "You little fucker!" I cursed, grabbing his calf, yanking it as hard as I could, causing him to fall down with me.

"You-"
"Me!? You're being an asshole!"

"I'm gonna kill her." Levi spoke, looking up at Furlan, who had a nervous look on his face. "Guys... let's just-"

"I'll kill you first, you tiny prick!"

___

I smiled at the memory, before gracefully landing on the ground. "You're getting better." He said, patting the top of my head. "I think that's the first time you've complimented me." I replied.

"On second thought, I take it back"
"Dickhead."

Over the time spent with them, I felt like I gained their trust, and they had mine.

I flew through the air with ease, the adrenaline pumping, sweat rolling down my face.

Compared to how I was living before, It all felt right. I noticed that I wasn't being followed by my father's little spies anymore, nor were they try to kill me. It was strange, but it meant I didn't need to kill anyone anymore.

I heard the jamming of my gear before falling. I tumbled onto a building "Ouch.." I said, putting a hand on my ribs, feeling the bruise.

"It must be my lucky day."  A man said, hovering over me, foot pressing onto my stomach. I smacked it to the side, staring at the dirty footprint on my shirt. "You got my white shirt all dirty." I hissed, throwing a knife to his shoulder as he yelled.

"Looks like I always end up in a situation like this." I chuckled, jumping off the edge of the roof, free falling for a good few seconds.

I felt the strong grip of an arm around my waist, it hurt, but it was better than dying at the hands of that man.

"Look who it is," I lightly teased, looking up at Levi as he stared ahead, "Like a knight in shining armor."

"You're a moron."

He landed onto the ground, throwing me as he did. I rolled a few feet before pushing myself up with my hands, muttering an insult.

Furlan was quick to land beside us, helping me up with his hand. "Damn thing jammed." I grumbled, pressing the buttons of my gear as nothing happened.

"Don't worry, we won't leave you." The taller boy spoke, wrapping an arm around my waist, in a much more gentle manner than Levi. I muttered a thank you, feeling the warmth on my face.

We made it back into the house as I sat at the table, using a screwdriver to fix my gear, not paying attention to Furlan handing the cash to the others.

"Thanks to you joining, we've been able to pay everybody more. We're grateful." He spoke, turning to me.

"Looks to me like one got more than the others, any particular reason why?" Levi pressed.

Furlan paused, making eye contact with the man, before sighing. "You've noticed, right? Jan's leg is getting worse, and medicine is expensive.

Down here, we don't get proper nutrition because of the lack of sunlight, and for most, lack of food, people's bodies deteriorate much faster. Some peoples limbs stop working over time,

others just drop dead.

"Did you hear the staircase toll went up?" He uttered angrily as I put my screwdriver down, nodding. "It's looking like we'll never see daylight."

"You make it sound like we'll never get outta here." I replied. "Your mother was like that, too. I guess that explains it."

"Levi." I reprimanded, wanting him to tone it down as he only stared at me. "Either way, he still got too much."

Furlan responded with a glum look, "At the very least, he'll be able to find himself a good hospital."

He shut his eyes tightly. "Just how much more would we need to get up there?"

I went back to putting the screw driver in my gear, not able to respond.

I wondered what the people above the ground thought of people like us. Maybe they despise us, seeing us as only dirty thugs. Maybe they don't care about us one bit.

Maybe they don't think about us at all, living their peaceful lives.

Either way, we do what we need to do to survive. I doubt those scumbags living in the Royal Capital ever had to worry about their survival, though. Not even for a second.

I was taken out of my thoughts, hearing a knock of the door. "I just wanna fix my damn gear and go to sleep." I groaned, grabbing the switchblade that was to the left of me.

The two boys stood at the door, Levi stood in front of it, a knife in his hand, Furlan standing next to it, one hand on the doorknob and the other holding a blade.

Levi nodded as Furlan swiftly opened the door, a girl fell inside, on her knees. My face turned to one of confusion as me and Levi spoke in unison.

"The fuck?"