𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺

𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚝

"Ow..." She quietly said, still on the floor.

"Huh? It's just a kid. That was a surprise." Furlan said, as I only looked down at her in confusion.

"Not... a kid." She spoke, her breaths uneven, like she had been running.

"What's that?" Furlan said, looking at her the same
way I was.

"I'm not.. a kid!" she yelled.

I felt sorry for her. She was literally a kid, younger than all of us. She had delicate features. Big, dark green eyes and her orange hair was parted into two pigtails.

"Is that so?" Levi replied, "I won't feel bad for throwing you out, then. I'll let it slide at the fact you dirtied the floor, now get out."

"Wait a second." I got out of the chair I was sitting in, and crouched down to her level. She struggled to get up, quietly grunting. I stared at her, waiting for her to get up.

"What? You can't even move?" Furlan taunted. "I can! Don't look down at me!" She yelled, still struggling. "What a strong willed kid.."

"No... something's off." I spoke lowly. I picked her up from under her arms, sitting her up straight before I placed my hands on her shoulders and leaned towards her face.

"Are you alone?"

She didn't have time to answer my question as I heard people running around the corner. "She went this way!" I heard a man call out.

I hissed in aggravation, picking her up under her arms again, from behind this time, and dragging her onto the couch. "Tsk, you're being chased?" Levi growled.

I stayed seated next to the girl, taking a tissue and wiping the dirt off of her face. "I don't.. need your help!" She argued. I let out a huff before continuing to wipe her face, speaking as I did.

"You're in my house, won't leave, you led a bunch of annoying bastards to us, and lastly, you're wasting my time that I could've spent sleeping right now. You need my help."

She didn't respond, instead lowering her head. Her body was trembling as I urged her to relax, telling her that we'd handle things.

"Hey, have you two seen a dirty brat around here!?" A man asked the two boys as I turned my head behind me, staring at them. The girl was turned around to and tried to duck, which was useless.

"I found her! Are you three friends with her?"

"No." Levi was quick to respond. "Hand her over, then. Don't try to protect her, either. She tried to go up the 11th stairway without paying!"

I turned my head towards her, eyes wide. "No fucking way... for real?" She turned her head away, nodding in reply.

A different man continued. "Obviously, the three of you will be charged for protecting her, you understand? Now hand her over!" Nobody moved a muscle until the assumed leader barged in, placing a hand on Levi's shoulder.

He quickly stumbled back and gasped as a switchblade, my switchblade, flew past his face, stabbing into the wall. "That was a warning shot." I advised.

"This one isn't." Levi spoke, raising his hand holding the knife, giving the man a long slash up his arm. The girl next to me watched the three of us in awe.

Levi began beating the shit out of him, grabbing him by the collar with a disgusted expression. "Don't touch me with your filthy fucking hand, I'll get dirty."

He threw the man down as the rest ran off, Furlan closing the door behind them. "What a waste of time." I yawned. Levi turned his head towards us. "Hey, how long are you gonna keep holding it to the stomach? It'll die."

Her expression saddened, lifting up the small bird in her hands. "I thought it would be warm.."

"Where'd 'ya get that from?" I asked with curiosity, using my index finger to stroke the birds head.

"I think it came from the sewers." She smiled at it before looking back at me. "I thought I'd let it free above the ground." My eyes widened a little before gently smiling at her.

"You wanted to go up the stairs for that?" Furlan said.

"He probably just wants to fly through the sky, rather than being down here."

"It has a broken wing." Furlan pointed out as I put my hands out to hold the bird. The ginger hesitated before placing the bird in my hands.

Me and Furlan worked together to fix the birds wing, I watched as his hands held the bird like it was the most delicate thing in the world.

"Wow.. you're really good at that! What're your names? I'm Isabel!" She exclaimed.

"My names Furlan, that's Levi, and this is Alina."

"Furlan... Levi-bro... and Ali!" She grinned.
"Bro?"

"Listen... Please let me come one of you!" She pleaded. "Huh?" Furlan voiced, making me remember when I asked to be apart of this.

"You guys use ODM-gear, right? I've seen it before. I've seen you all fly through the air like bird- it made me envy you. Please! Let me try it too!"

"What do you think?" Furlan turned to both of us, he was never much of a decision maker.

I shrugged and turned to Levi, who walked toward her. She continued begging as he only said "Learn to clean before you learn how to use the gear." And walked off.

Isabel looked at us, stars in her eyes, before turning back around. "Thank you, Levi-Bro!"

___

"Be careful, Isa." I warned, scared she'd hurt herself as she flew around. She was an expert at it now, and really graceful, like a butterfly.

The bird she brought to us had healed and we found a small opening to let it fly out.

The look on Isabel's face was one of bliss, she smiled a lot and it made me want to protect her with everything I had.

I closed my eyes, the sun making my face feel warm as I felt Furlan hold my hand.

I was too in my own head to notice the glance Levi gave us from the side.

I didn't realize how he turned his face away and scowled, or how he quickly got up, ready to leave after.