49 - Teqosa

"How are you feeling this morning?"

Upachu's seemingly innocuous inquiry is simple, yet it hints at the daunting task that lays before me. My sleep the night before was restless, as I tossed and turned thinking about what I must present before the council. How will they receive the news? Will it be enough to dissuade them from needlessly attacking Qapauma? Will they comprehend the looming threat of the Eye in the Flame, or will they view me as a mad man?

I sigh and frown, "As good as one can feel before talking about cultists with flaming swords and supernatural beasts."

"It will most certainly sound like you're telling fables," Upachu says. "We can hope that having four witnesses to the might of the Eye in the Flame will support your statement."

"If Taqsame has as much sway over the council as he claims to have, it will be a contentious, challenging feat to accomplish," I say.

"It will not be the most enjoyable experience at the council chambers," Upachu says, unreassuringly.

"Add to this that I am a terrible speaker," I mention. "Are you certain you shouldn't be speaking instead?"

"While I have the status as an elder, having one military tactician speak against another will hold greater leverage, I think," he says. "I believe having a Maqanuiache graduate would influence the other military-minded council members, especially when competing with Taqsame for their minds and their hearts, don't you agree?"

I only respond with a deepened frown. If it's a matter of tactics, I could take on Taqsame handily. However, in a war of words, I'm not certain I can hold up to the challenge. Taqsame has proven to be a cunning and manipulative foe in the political arena, where he seems poised to ingratiate himself more. While the Qantua have not allowed themselves to be ruled by a single person, he could gain enough favor to be highly influential for the duration of his career in the council. It's a grave concern if his response to any ailing ally is to exploit the weakness and attack.

"Besides," Upachu continues, "you will not be alone in this fight. You have my support, as well as that of the outsiders—one of whom is the Arbiter's Shadow, need I remind you. That holds gravitas over anything the young Taqsame attempts to instigate."

"The Arbiter whom Taqsame has projected as weak," I now remind Upachu. "His sole argument is that Achutli cannot control his own people, questioning why he should be allowed to hold any power over the other factions as a result. Having Sianchu speak may appear as an effort to distract and divert attention away from the issues plaguing Tapeu."

"See!" Upachu says. "A tactical thinker! This is why we need you!"

Although he's well-meaning, it's a struggle for me to appreciate Upachu's sentiments when so much is at stake. I am a warrior, built to fight with my glaive, not my words. I fear that anything I say will be inadequate and insufficient to convince the council of the actual threat, to not be opportunists and potentially ruin our diplomatic standing among the other factions in Pachil.

"Whatever you're thinking inside that head of yours," Upachu says, distracting me from my thoughts, "use that when speaking to the council. I see you deep in concentration and focus. You've got that look, that long distance stare, that is formulating a plan, the best approach to utilize. It's inherent within you. It's why people have come to you with the matter."

For once, I let his words seep into my consciousness, and I allow myself to find comfort in them. This was never a path I would've chosen for myself, yet it is the one that has presented itself to me. And I'm not one to turn away from a challenge. While I may not believe in the multitude of deities in this land, it's difficult for me to deny that something has placed me where I need to be, in this moment. I may not be good with words, but perhaps the right ones will find their way to me, just as they did when I needed to rally my warriors into action, or console an ailing comrade or family member of the fallen.