51 - Walumaq

With the devastation all around us after the ferocious attack by zealots of the Eye in the Flame, I can see a fierce resolve in the eyes of both Paxilche and Pomaqli, eager to uncover the truth behind the recent events. While the guards of the palace survey the destruction, we observe Saxina, the leader of the Qiapu designated 'the Tempered' by his people's customs, who appears visibly distressed by the outcome. Once close friends with Saxina, Paxilche has detected a hint of subterfuge in the leader's demeanor and feels compelled to confront the man about his secrets. Although I would normally be opposed to such an action when there is seemingly more pressing matters to address, I feel that Paxilche may have an understanding into the person that could reveal the truth surrounding this assault.

Fires continue to be put out by the diligent guards, utilizing water from the reservoir to extinguish the flames. The bodies of the deceased are carried away, with the invaders purposely separated from the others—and, I would argue, handled with seemingly less care. Others begin clearing the rubble, and though I am greatly appreciative of their efforts, I'm surprised and impressed to see them working so industriously at this late time of the night. The work required to repair the palace grounds will be long and tiresome, but the men appear committed to undoing the damage the cultists have done.

As we approach the Qiapu leader, he inclines his chin and looks upon us in an attempt to project an air of gallantry. To my astonishment, the nearby palace guards provide no protection, leaving Saxina exposed to the looming interrogation by Paxilche and Pomaqli. They approach him with an intensity that radiates from them like bolts of lightning.

"I believe it's high time you provided answers, Tempered," Paxilche declares with venom laced into every syllable of the leader's title.

"What information are you keeping from us?" Pomaqli demands. "You know something that you're refraining from telling us. What has you too filled with fear to reveal the truth?"

"I know not to what you refer," the Tempered says, striving to mask the tremor in his voice while maintaining an air of authority. Paxilche is about to grab Saxina by the cape and practically strangle him, but Pomaqli restrains him just in time before he does something regretful.

"Don't pretend to be coy with us," Paxilche says. "You need to tell us everything now!" Thankfully, Pomaqli steps in to prevent Paxilche from marching up to Saxina and confronting him face to face.

"Tempered," I say, hoping to intervene before we're shut out by the Qiapu leader entirely and can no longer get answers, "anything you know about the assault can assist us greatly in defeating this threat. We have yet to venture beyond the palace grounds, but from what is clearly visible here, these invaders have caused serious damage. If they return, they will be more ferocious and unrelenting, I am certain."

"There is much you don't understand, young Sanqo princess," he says, his eyes never once meeting mine.

"I have seen these people carry out a brutal punishment to those who they determine will stand in the way of their mission," I say. "They subjected their defenseless victims to a savage execution, burning them alive in the middle of the streets for all to see. They are merciless in their pursuit to achieve their goals and must be stopped."

Saxina considers this, but I can see that, despite wrestling with the matter internally, remaining silent on what he knows will ultimately win out. There's a deep concern etched into his face, a pained expression indicating to me that he wants to say, but I suspect he fears the retribution that would come of it. Unfortunately, before I have a chance to appeal to his emotional side, Paxilche is overcome with emotion of his own, and the raging fire that burns within him can no longer be contained.

"You know exactly why this occurred, Saxina!" Paxilche shouts. "You know something that could've saved lives tonight, but you've willingly turned a blind eye to allow whatever that atrocity was to occur. The blood of this night is on your hands!"