56 - Walumaq

The grizzly scene is a sickening blend of charred flesh and smoldering wood that claws at my throat and stings my eyes. I stand in the doorway, the heat from the remnants of the fire licking at my skin, my heart pounding a frantic rhythm against my ribs. The twisted shape of who we were informed was Amalu's body lies contorted, a grotesque sculpture of human frailty. Sprawled across the floor, his skin blackened and peeling, his features unrecognizable. The destruction is thorough, a clear message meant to silence and terrify. I can't help but think this is more than just a murder; it's a statement, bold and brutal. Paxilche and Pomaqli hover behind me, their breaths shallow, their eyes wide. We knew coming here would unearth secrets, but this—this is a horror I hadn't braced for.

I know we're standing in the aftermath of a plot that's bigger than us, a plot that smells of conspiracy and tastes like the bitter ash floating in the air. I feel my stomach twist, but I force myself to look closer, to understand, to find meaning in this devastation. While the palace guards have declared the destruction to be from the recent assault, I'm not so sure. There's something sinister at play here, something more that needs to be explored to understand what has actually taken place.

"This appears awfully convenient," Paxilche says, "which seems to be an oft repeated statement around here. Walumaq, do you really believe the guards, that this was a result of the cultist's assault?"

I frown, my brow furrows as I consider where we are in relation to where the attack occurred. "If I recall correctly, we're in the back of the palace grounds, away from where the assault took place. I haven't seen any damage from the battle in this area. This appears to have taken place either prior to or after the fighting, not a result of it."

I sweep my eyes across the room, looking for any indication as to what happened. From where Amalu's charred remains are positioned, he's in the center of the area, away from his bed, away from a window, away from his wardrobe. What brought him to this spot? Was there a confrontation?

While I search the room, my attention is drawn to the window. Among the ashes, I notice a few small smears of mud, streaking toward the large opening as the cool draft filters into the room, kicking up the soot that swirls about. The mud seems out of place amidst the charred remains, possibly evidence of an intruder's presence. Partially obscured but unmistakable, its trail hints at a hurried escape. I crouch closer, studying its pattern and texture, and observe multiple smears and splatters left behind by the possible assassin whose identity remains shrouded in the smoky remnants. Yet when I look out the window, I notice no other disturbances, no footprints, and I wonder if the assailant escaped into the courtyard or through the palace.

I continue searching the room, seeking more evidence of what occurred here. Even amidst the burnt and demolished surroundings, the furniture is out of place and toppled over, the torched wooden structures strewn about, signaling a struggle. This must've been done while Amalu was caught unaware, though I can't discern whether the assailant was someone he knew or a hired assassin.

The palace guards begin looking upon the three of us with suspicion, undoubtedly curious why someone in Sanqo colors is being given free rein to wander about the room. I begin to wonder if any of the men have been informed of Saxina's disdain for us, and whether or not they've been given instructions to impede our progress. There's no indication of this, however, and before my searches are interrupted, Pomaqli approaches the two men to get ahead of any possible trouble.

"What's brought the likes of you around here?" one of the young guards asks.

"We're investigating what happened here," Pomaqli answers dryly. "There are details amid this chaos that shouldn't be overlooked."

The guard's eyes narrow as he follows up his question. "And why have you been selected to investigate?"

"We have a personal stake in this matter," he says. "Our skills and keen observation are essential in uncovering the truth behind this tragedy."