Plastic Santa

Claire took one last look around her room and double-checked the zipper on her suitcase. Bernard was late. He was supposed to be coming to zap her back to the North Pole with him so she could spend a month with her dad. She had graduated her senior year early with high marks, and for her reward, she asked permission to spend the entire month between Thanksgiving and Christmas at the Pole. She was looking forward to spending hours in the stables helping train the baby reindeer, and having every meal with her dad and every break in between with Tinsley and Terrence. Then, she would come home on Christmas day and start looking for a job while holding her breath for college acceptance letters. She was buzzing with excitement. Charlie had quit visiting the Pole a couple years ago, but it never lost its shine to her. Something had been going on lately with Charlie, some new attitude towards everybody and everything. She rubbed the locket she had worn for the past eight years. It was still comforting to her after all that time. She hadn't been able to fit comfortably in the floor of her closet for a while, but she snuck a peek of the lights under her covers sometimes. She was thinking about seeing the big Aurora Borealis while at the Pole when she heard voices downstairs. She grabbed her suitcase off the bed and turned to the door when Bernard appeared. 'Hey, Angel. Slight change of plans.' Hearing the familiar endearment made her breath catch. She had almost forgotten about being able to spend a month crushing on him up close. Oh boy. He took the case from her and went back down, Claire on his heels. She was not expecting to see her dad in the kitchen. Bernard went straight to the fridge as usual, pulling out meat and cheese for a sandwich while her dad explained everything. She had found out a while ago that the 'popping' in and out of the North Pole drained some of Bernard's energy, which was why he always ate something when he showed up. Plus, he really liked processed American cheese for some reason. He walked while he ate, studying the photos and knick knacks he had seen a hundred times. She thought it was cute. Her dad was finishing his spiel about the Mrs. Clause and the Naughty List, and she looked up at him. 'You can obviously stay here if you'd like, and I'll try to find time to do a few things with you around town, but I'd really appreciate it if you would go back with Bernard. I think he's gonna need the help, and besides, even though your birthday has already passed, you know the elves have put together a little something for you. Abby and Tinsley mostly, but I think Terrence helped, too. Bernard made a 'pshh' noise and said, 'Barely. They just let him put his name on the project for credit.' Claire shot him a look, and he said 'Sorry. Force of habit.' Yeah, it was a bad habit she had a problem with. Bernard was really hard on Terrence sometimes, and Claire didn't understand why. He was hard on Curtis, too, but Curtis held an important position. Well, Terrence did, too, she supposed. He was next in line to be the head reindeer trainer, but still. The decision was a hard one, but only because this might be her last chance to actually spend time with her dad for a while. He couldn't work around a college schedule like other parents might. Yeah, she would have breaks to come home, but one of them would always be busy. She just knew it wouldn't be the same. As she looked at her dad, though, she realized it was her turn to be unselfish. He needed her help, and she would give it. Besides, he needed to focus more on Charlie anyway. If anyone could straighten him out and get him back on the Nice List, it was Santa Claus. They said goodbyes and goodlucks, and her dad left to meet the Miller's at school for a sit-in with the principal about Charlie, while Bernard took her suitcase in one hand and her arm in the other. In a blink, they were in his office at the North Pole. She sat down. Years of doing that hadn't gotten her used to the feeling. Bernard gave her a minute before helping her to her feet to go to Santa's office, where they met up with Curtis and Curtis's monstrosity. Talk about uncanny valley, Claire thought. She couldn't see how her dad had ever agreed to this, or Bernard, for that matter. And there was no way the elves wouldn't notice. What she was thinking must have shown on her face because Bernard gave her a sharp look and said, 'Yeah, no. No, I think this is gonna work. Good job, Curtis', who apparently took offense at Bernard's tone of voice and snapped, 'Would it kill you to give a compliment with your whole heart?' Claire snorted, and Bernard glared at her while the not Santa continued practicing ho ho hos in the mirror. Curtis then gave him The Handbook, with strict instructions to read it. A minute after that came the first real test. Abby brought a tray with cocoa in and set it on Santa's desk. Claire watched for her reaction, but she seemed pleased when the imposter drank the chocolate with unmatched gusto and demanded more. That was when Claire started to get nervous. If the thing fooled Abby, what else could it do? She wasn't happy when she was proven correct in almost no time at all. The first thing he pointed out was that there were a lot of rules slipping through the cracks, and while he had a point, they were all minor and not worth disrupting the general workflow over. Then he started talking about making changes, and Curtis was encouraging it. Claire and Bernard shared a look as Fake Santa walked away with Curtis right behind. 'Don't say it', he said. She threw her hands up and turned on her heel. 'I wasn't gonna, but I'm glad you know that this is bad. So what now? We tell my dad before this charade goes much further?' Bernard jumped to catch up to her, grabbing her wrist before he thought better of it and pulling her close to him. 'We can't pull the plug yet, Claire. What your dad is doing is of the utmost importance right now. If he has to come here to help us, he loses time to find a wife, and then there will be no Christmas, no North Pole, no Santa.' He paused. 'No elves.' She met his gaze and nodded. 'Ok. No dad. Yet.' He let out a relieved exhale. Realizing how close they were, she straightened, and he let go reluctantly, absently letting his fingertips brush down her palm. Claire shivered involuntarily, wiping away the sensation on her jeans. Bernard saw this and stiffened. 'Right, then. Thank you. Just give me a little more time. It could still work.' Then he ducked around her to follow Fake Santa, leaving Claire feeling cold.