House Arrest and Heartbreak

Turns out the talk Claire wanted to have with Bernard wasn't going to happen how or when she wanted. She walked into the workshop the next morning just in time to see Bernard being carried away by giant toy soldiers. She ran down the stairs towards him but was held back by Curtis. 'Don't, Claire. They'll carry you off too and I need your help.' She nodded. 'Where do you think they're taking him?' 'I don't know, but he'll be fine. We need to get to your dad, asap.' 'I can go, just in case my dad is almost out of magic. You stay here and try to keep Hitler Santa from killing Christmas.' Curtis shook his head. 'No, I have to go. You can't ride a reindeer and you don't know how to use the jetpacks. You'll be fine. You're not an elf, so he might not mess with you if you keep your head down. I don't think he really pays much attention to you anyway. I'll try to hurry. Just don't do anything stupid.' This order, however, went in one ear and out the other as soon as she found out where they were keeping Bernard. She knew she wasn't thinking clearly. What would freeing him do? They would just tie him back up and probably her too. It didn't matter anyway because they never stood a chance. A couple of the toy soldiers caught her picking the lock with a long hairpin she had borrowed from Tinsley, and they tied her to a chair with her back facing Bernard. He was yelling at them to watch it and to be careful with her and despite herself she smiled a little. When the soldiers shut the door again he spoke to her. 'Are you ok, Claire? Did they hurt you?' He was craning his neck trying to see her and failing so he slumped back down. 'I'm fine', she reassured him. 'And Christmas will be too. Curtis went to get my dad. Everything is gonna be ok.' He sighed in relief. 'I'm so sorry. I should have just listened to you as soon as my gut said something was wrong. Which, to be fair, was the moment I first laid eyes on that thing. But I didn't want to disappoint Santa.' 'You didn't. I know that, and my dad won't think so either. It's his fault for wanting to take the easy way out. And Curtis for procrastinating and then GIVING my dad the easy out. But he's redeeming himself by helping fix this mess.' 'Yeah, maybe I've been a little hard on him', Bernard said after a minute. Claire snorted. 'Just a little.' There was a pause where she thought now was as good a time as ever, then she said, 'I actually wanted to talk to you. I was looking for you last night, but tied up not looking you in the eye is a better position to do it in I think.' Bernard straightened a little. 'What do you want to talk about, Claire?' Silence. Then, 'You wouldn't lie to me, would you, Bernard?' Without hesitation came, 'No, Angel. I wouldn't. Ask me.' 'Terrence told me last night that I might be your soulmate. He told me to ask you, that you couldn't deny me if I am, and that you could explain why you have a human mate. Can you, please?' He sighed. 'I didn't want you to find out this way. Maybe not at all.' She perked up. 'So it's true? I'm yours? So you're mine too right? How is that?' 'Yes and no. You are my soulmate, the only one I will ever have. I, however, don't have to be yours. You don't need to acknowledge it or choose me if you don't want to. As for the how, that's easy. I should have realized sooner, since I was a human once. It makes sense for me to have a human mate.' Claire had gone silent and still. 'Angel? You ok back there?' 'Why wouldn't I choose you?', she said quietly. 'What?', he asked. 'You said I don't need to choose you. Terrence also said that you are well aware that I like you, that I've had a crush on you forever. It makes more sense now, with the bond we have and all. Don't you want me to choose you?' He thought before answering. 'Honestly? No. That's all it is, Claire, is a crush. Yes, maybe it's brought on by the bond, but I'm sure you know the lore behind mates, right? You and I still have a choice. You have your whole life ahead of you. College, marriage, maybe children. And I'll be here. I'll be your friend, gladly. But my life is here. My purpose is being an elf, serving Santa. I don't think I can give that up.' She hesitated before asking, 'But you said you were human once, right? We're coming back to that, by the way, but couldn't I just, become an elf too?' 'No, Claire. I was an orphan. I snuck onto Santa's sleigh and just never got taken back. Kidnapping was a much smaller deal back then. I stayed human for several years and eventually the council decided to change me. The point is I already had nobody. I was alone. You have a family. If you became immortal, could you stand to watch your entire family grow old and die? Your friends? You'd be giving up a chance at a life, a career, a future. I refuse to let you do that. You'll be fine. I promise.' Claire felt like she had just been handed the greatest gift she could ever imagine, and then had it taken away in the next breath. Tears stung her eyes, but she wouldn't let them fall. She was being pathetic, right? He was, at the end of the day, just a boy. A pretty perfect boy (Man? She didn't know.) But just a boy. She didn't have long to think about it though, before Charlie threw open the doors. Her dad was right behind him, along with, - their principal? 'Hey, sis. Meet our new stepmother. I'll fill you in later', said Charlie as he untied Claire and Bernard. As soon as he was free Bernard immediately checked on Claire, patting her down for bruises and studying exposed skin for cuts. She batted his hands away, hurt evident in her eyes, but he couldn't concentrate on that yet. They had to take down Toy Santa. He could talk to her later, explain better. The first priority was trying to stop Toy Santa from taking the sleigh, which they were too late for, so Scott took the baby reindeer Chet to go after the imposter. Then Bernard had Claire go gather more elves while he and Curtis led everyone else against the wooden soldiers. He looked for her the entire time, even though the reason he had sent her separate was to keep her out of the way. She appeared with backup just in time to see her dad crash land in the courtyard, taking out the last of the toy soldiers and knocking Fake Santa out of the sleigh. She ran down to meet her dad as the elves took care of the imposter. They shrunk him down to toy size and contained him, and then it was time for Scott to get married. Claire stood smiling between her brother and Curtis as Abby fed her dad lines, and she let out a relieved breath when Carol agreed to marry him. In a matter of minutes the Legendary Council was summoned, her father was married and became Santa again, and somehow she wound up between Charlie and Bernard. As the newlyweds kissed and the Santa transformation began, Bernard found himself searching for Claire's hand with his own, weaving his fingers between hers and holding it tight when he found it. She allowed it, allowed herself that moment of affection from him, until Charlie reminded her they were going home, and she pulled away, leaning up to press a quick kiss to Bernard's cheek. As she squeezed between her dad and brother in the sleigh, Charlie asked, 'What did we miss?' She swallowed a sob and said, 'You first', as they pulled away to cheers from below.