iii. perfectly reasonable explanation

the further you run, the faster i'll catch you. no matter where you go, i'll find you. wherever you go, death will follow, just ask tiffany hudson.

"what does that even mean?" florence sat at the edge of nancy's bed, the girl had let her stay over while she stayed in the us.

"that somehow either the person who wants to kill you killed tiffany hudson or they somehow predicted the future." nancy sat at her computer watching a recording she had made on her phone of the fireworks.

"but how would they know tiffany would be at the same restaurant as me? i don't know what the hell-" florence is stripping out of her clothes, pulling on one of nancy's old pjs when something catches her eye on nancy's computer.

it was a video of the woman that died with a shadowy figure behind her and then the video seemed to glitch.

"was that a ghost?"

"there's no such thing."

"well how do explain whatever the hell that was?"

nancy groaned, "maybe it was your mysterious killer." she sighed, climbing onto her bed.

florence didn't know how to respond to that, nancy could be right but the whole ordeal was very confusing.

"this isn't funny." she sat down next to nancy, not climbing under the covers. it was late, she had come along way to get here but she was exhausted.

"you're the one blaming things on ghosts." nancy scoffs, turning off the light as florence tries to get comfortable but she couldn't find peace in the dark.

"i see a shadowy figure i immediately assume it's a ghost, sue me." florence rests her hand on her belly, slightly turning her head to look at nancy.

"ghosts aren't real, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for everything that's going on."

"what if the ghost is the one trying to kill me?"

"what happened to this not being funny?" florence could hear the smile in nancy's voice.

"well i try to make things funny when im scared, right now im shitting myself." she could feel goosebumps rise on her bare arms.

florence was in a new country, in a house with people she didn't know and now someone had been murdered and she might very well be next. she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, especially not after seeing nancy's video.

"you don't have to be scared. i'll look after you."

"you don't even know me." florence's tone came out harsher than she planned it. "im sorry." her apology came out faster than she planned it.

"you're right, i don't know you but the way-" nancy took a pause, took in a large breath, "the way my mom talked about her friend's daughter who was smart, kind, brave and a little cocky, it makes me want to know you."

"and i can't do that if i let a ghost kill you." nancy turned her head, her blue eyes the only thing slightly visible in the dark.

"i trust you, nancy. don't make me regret it."