Projecting Vs Perceiving

So, there are two main categorisations of synaesthesia. Projectors see their associations or actually experience their synaesthesia in the real world. Perceivers experience it in their minds.

Just to be clear, that doesn't make either experience less real. Perceivers are not faking it, and projectors are not mad.

Both forms can be very distracting, but projecting can lead to other problems too. I have a friend with colour-smell synaesthesia, and it can be very unpleasant if they smell an icky colour.

I am a grapheme-colour projector, so I see letters and numbers (most especially when typed) coloured in on the page/screen. When I'm tired, I sometimes can't even tell what colour the letter is 'underneath' my colour.

This is distracting, but it also makes it hard for me to read unless texts are written in black or white. I am much slower, and can get migraines if I try doing it for too long or when already under stress. This manifests as a lot of rapid blinking.

It is estimated that around 10% of synesthetes are projectors, with the rest being perceivers (so, lucky me, I guess?).

You can imagine how fun this is to explain to teachers who have no idea what synaesthesia is. And how many migraines I get considering the weird obsession people have with colour-coding everything. (Seriously, what is wrong with people?)

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that synaesthesia is a lot more complex than most people think. And if you've never gotten a migraine from a PowerPoint written in pink, you can't tell me I'm overreacting.

This is why I get so confused by the fact that synaesthesia is literally the only type of neurodiversity I can think of that isn't classed as a disability. In the words of the internet, it's an 'ability' instead. Like... a superpower? Like... that patronising metaphor used to pat yourself on the back for being kind to someone who's disabled?

Yeah, no. Synaesthesia has unique benefits and drawbacks just like all neurodiversity. And by separating it in this way, you're both implying that neurotypes that are classed as disabilities are somehow lesser, and that problems experienced by synesthetes aren't as serious or real as those experienced by other members of the neurodivergent community.

Now, I am not arguing with the medical (are they medical?) definitions of any neurotypes, since I am clearly not qualified to do so. However, I would like to point out how utterly ridiculous the 'ability not a disability' argument is when trying to exclude synesthetes from help and understanding that is already sparse enough across the neurodivergent community.

Be kind and understanding, people. It isn't hard. And remember to think in rainbows!