Synaesthesia in Books

Hi, just wanted to talk about some fictional books that talk about synaesthesia. There are only two series I know of, so if you know any stories with good representation please let me know!

The first one is the bad one, because I want to get it out the way. This one makes me so sad, because it is one of my favourite series of all time: Ruby Redfort.

If you don't know, this is a children's/YA series by Lauren Child, about the titular teenage spy. They're very well plotted and the codes are ingenious.

However, in the last book (Blink and You Die), it is revealed that the character Miles Froghorn has grapheme-colour synaesthesia.

My first issue is pretty stupid. Froghorn is a really annoying, snooty character, and I just wish we got representation from someone else.

But the main problem is the way grapheme-colour synaesthesia is portrayed. (Spoilers coming up, skip if you want.)

Ruby has to find information in a top-secret filing room, the security of which was designed by Froghorn. So the filing cabinets are colour-coded according to his synaesthesia. This would be a really cool security system, if it weren't for the fact that Ruby is able to easily find the information she is looking for because of the misunderstanding of synaesthesia.

There is no conscious thought or reason behind synaesthetic associations, they just happen. But somehow, Ruby is able to find the file about an ex-agent Froghorn idolised because it is filed as sunshine yellow since he thought they shone like the sun.

This is not how synaesthesia works and it makes me so mad. Lauren Child, you are better than this.

Luckily the second series actually does a pretty good job. The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch is sometimes too ridiculous for its own good, but I loved it when I was younger. And it was also the book that introduced me to synaesthesia.

Several characters in the book have synaesthesia, and the wonderful thing about it is that they all have different types.

He also attempts to showcase how synaesthesia can often co-occur with other types of neurodiversity and/or learning disabilities.

All the characters' associations are completely random and natural, and he even showcases the confusion synesthetes can feel when realising other people don't experience the world the way that they do.

The science used in the book is the theory that we are all born synaesthetic, but that most people lose these connections, as this (kind of) explains the villains' warped logic in kidnapping children with synaesthesia. This is not the only theory, but it is perfectly accepted within the research community, and I can see why he chose to simplify a bit.

I'm less clear on whether identical twins would actually have the same synaesthetic associations, but I do think it is a pretty cool idea.

All in all, I think these books are great representation. And will forever be thankful that they encouraged me to look into synaesthesia. The feeling of finally understanding this part of me I thought was wrong is indescribable.

If you're interested, I would definitely recommend both series, but for very different reasons. Think in rainbows!