Chapter 3

I sit on my bunk in silence, resting my arms on my knees as I deftly stare at my feet. The events from earlier in the day resulted in being suspended for the rest of the day, leaving me time to visit the vale. I stayed there until the late hours in the night until Feirge, a Green Daggertail that hopes to bond this year, drops me off in the courtyard. As soon as I entered the barracks, people scrambled away for me, spare my squad.

The door to the room creaks open, the light from the hall spilling into the room. Violet sneaks in through the crack before surveying the room. When her gaze lands on mine, she immediately looks away. A fresh wave of guilt rushes through me as I press my forehead against my knees, shielding myself from the criticizing eye of the other cadets.

"They can judge you all they want. So long as you know who you are and know your morals, their opinion doesn't matter. I know you, Bright One. You would never hurt an innocent. You're strong and protect the defenseless, and that is why I chose you." Ant comforts.

"I didn't know the big, scary Chandrakant was just a spiky teddy bear." I sniffle as I wipe my wet eyes.

"That's the last time I comfort you."

"No, no. I'm sorry."

"Get some sleep, Bright One. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow."

"Ok. Goodnight, Ant."

"Goodnight."

A soft smile graces my lips as I lay down. A fleeting thought of not deserving to smile after taking a life crosses my mind before I shove it away.

I fall asleep to the hummed melody of my mother's voice as I sit in her lap in the vale, the gifts of my wounded heart.

*****************

Guilt rushes through me as I follow Violet through the forest. We've been out here for hours, Violet finding herbs and such that can easily be crafted into poisons of all sorts. Disguised under the power of my Signet, I follow her in the form of a small bird. Only being able to maintain small transformations for this long, I'm glad to be the small Blue Jay.

Violet walks up to an oak tree, taking her arm out of the baby blue sling she got after Imogen dislocated her arm. I land on one of the higher branches, digging my talons into the bark so I don't slip off. Violet carefully makes her way up the lower branches, climbing higher and higher. She almost slips once before easily regaining her earlier position.

She makes home on a branch next to mine, looking at me and offering a small smile before continuing to pull a vile out of her satchel. She picks the unripe purple berries from the fonilee vine winding around the tree, Perfect, might I add, for her growing arsenal.

As soon as the vile is full, she starts making her way down. It's at that moment that I see two figures making their way towards the tree. Noticing Violet having not spotted them, I quickly fly down to her, pushing her face with my small body to spot them getting frighteningly close.

She muffles her gasp as she makes perch on the branch, thankfully high enough that the rushing of the Iakobos River drowns out any small sound she might make. I land on her shoulder, my talons piercing through her cloak. She startles slightly before calming down when she sees me.

The two figures in black cloaks—apparently tonight's disguise of choice—walk under the protection of the tree. The smaller one leans back against the lowest limb, removing her hood to reveal a half-shaved head of pink hair I know all too well.

Imogen, the squadmate who nearly ripped off Violet's arm ten days ago. I feel Violet shift, probably remembering the same thing.

My stomach tightens, then knots as the second rider slips off his own hood.