Chapter 6

I skip the next few Gauntlet trainings, opting to spend time in the Vale. I sit against one of the few Reds who enjoy my company. Sliseag is a Red Swordtail who is quite big compared to the average dragon.

"I feel like you'd really like him though." I ramble off to him as we watch the hatchlings run around, playing with each other.

"What makes you think that?" He asks.

"He is amazing. He's a repeat though I have no idea why no one would bond him. He made the Gauntlet seem like child's play. He's super smart and a great leader. He's so kind and fun to be around. He's like the perfect guy to bond to you."

He puffs a cloud of steam out of his nose. "I'll think about it."

I grin as I look up at his golden gaze. "You can see him on Presentation. He is a ginger like me, but a little lighter, and he has blue eyes. You won't regret it."

"I'm sure."

One of the Feathertails digs her snout into my side, drawing my gaze away from Sliseag.

"You won't believe it!" She exclaims, Andarna I believe. "The elders let me bond this year!"

"Really! That's great and all, but make sure you bond the right person if you bond at all. They can drain you if not." I say, running my hand over the scales on her head.

"I will." She says, straightening and lifting her head.

"I believe you." I say as I give her a smile.

The ground shakes as a dragon lands. I turn around to find Sgaeyl looking down at us. I offer her a smile.

"Did you like the drawing?" I ask her as I approach.

"The tiny one on paper of the one in the cave?" She asks as she dips her head.

"Both."

"I liked them very much. I like how you captured my ferocity."

"You're almost as bad as Ant." I say. "Is it time to leave?"

"Yes. I still can't believe he lets you call him that." She says, huffing something at Sliseag.

"I'm not calling him Chand. It sounds so odd." I say as I mount her. "And his ego is too big. Its not like he could roast me. He loves me too much."

"Whatever." Sgaeyl says as she launches into the air.

"Why didn't you tell me that you bonded Xaden?" I ask after a minute of silence.

"You didn't ask. And there are some things better left secrets." She says, landing outside Basgiath.

As soon as I dismount, she takes off, leaving me with frizzled hair and a heap of frustration.

*****************

"Doria Merrill," Captain Fitzgibbons says from the dais. Every one of his features is crystal clear, not only because the sun is behind the shade of the clouds but because I'm closer. Our formation gets tighter with every cadet who falls.

It's Presentation Day, and in order to get to the flight field, we'll have to climb the Gauntlet first. Everything about the Riders Quadrant is designed to weed out the weak, and today is no exception.

"Kamryn Dyre." Captain Fitzgibbons continues to read from the roll.

I flinch. His seat was across from mine in Dragonkind.

"Arvel Pelipa." Imogen and Quinn—both second-years—suck in a breath ahead of me. First-years aren't the only ones at risk; we're just the most likely to die.