Xie Lian followed Ling Wen to her palace. There were many exhausted looking junior officials carrying stacks of paper bigger than they were. He winced in sympathy, it must be hard carrying so many papers all day.

"Come sit, Your Highness. Have some tea."

Xie Lian sat.

"Now come, list those great 'achievements' out to me."

So Xie Lian did.

With each stroke of the brush, Ling Wen seemed to grow more and more tired.

Xie Lian paused.

"Ling Wen, are you well? You seem exhausted."

Ling Wen waved him off. I'm fine, I'm fine. Don't worry about me, your highness."

When Xie Lian was done, Ling Wen examined the paper for a moment before concluding:

"Congratulations your highness. It seems your debt has been repaid."

"Amazing!" Xie Lian smiled.

Finally! He couldn't wait to see his amazing, beautiful, sweet, husband-

"Gege" Hua Cheng's voice rang through the communication array.

And there he was!

"I'll be back in a moment, just needed to pay for some damages."

"Gege should not have had to pay for anything. Gege just simply ascended, it's not like you wanted to ascend."

Xie Lian smiled. He could practically see his husband's face right now.

"I know San Lang, but it's really not that big of a deal."

"But-"

Xie Lian cut him off, he knew how much his husband hated the heavenly officials and honestly? Understandable. But he really did not want to indulge in that type of conversation at the moment.

"Anyways, why did you contact me?"

"Gege, some ghost has been stirring up trouble at some random mountain. They want me to go take care of it for some reason."

"Oh, do you need me to come over?"

"No need, gege. You don't need to do a thing. But I'm going to be gone for a little while."

Xie Lian felt his heart sink. No beautiful, amazing, sweet husband for him.

"How long will you be gone?"

Xie Lian's voice was quiet.

"I'm so sorry gege, they won't leave me alone about it. I'll be gone for about a week."

"Why so long?"

"There's also multiple minor affairs they want me to take care of as well."

"See you soon?"

"Always"  Hua Cheng's voice was firm.

"Taizi dianxia?"

"Hmm? Sorry Ling Wen, I got a little distracted. What is it?"

Ling Wen looked at him oddly for a moment before saying.

"I was asking what dianxia was going to do in the meantime, because his debt has been repaid."

"Well, I'm probably going to stick around for a few days." Now that Hua Cheng was dealing with some issue, he might as well occupy himself with some menial task.

"Are there any tasks that The Heavenly Emperor could use a hand with?" Xie Lian inquired.

"Hmm..." Ling Wen thought for a moment. "I think that there is one mission. I was going to give it to you to help you repay your debt, but it seems you don't need it anymore."

"I'll do it anyway, I have a lot of free time to spare."

"Great! Here are the mission details." Ling Wen conjured a scroll out of nowhere and handed it to Xie Lian.

Xie Lian sipped his tea as he read through the scroll.

'Huh, that's interesting. The situation sounds similar to what Hua Cheng was talking about. Some ghost is causing trouble at a mountain.' Hilarious. Not only did he not get to see his husband, but he would be going on a similar mission as his husband knowing that he was not going to get to see his husband.

Xie Lian didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

He sighed.

"Is something the matter, Your Highness?"

"No, no, just a little tired."

Ling Wen nodded.

"The Heavenly Emperor is currently busy with other affairs. If you could go in his stead any and all merits that the worshippers give to pay off their vows will be transferred to you."

Xie Lian nodded in understanding.

"So what do you think, Your Highness?"

"Sounds fun." Xie Lian said.

"By the way, do you need me to lend you any spiritual devices?"

"No need, I have this." Xie Lian patted Ruoye, which in turn tightened slightly around Xie Lian's wrist before relaxing again.

Ling Wen stared at it for a good moment before asking: "How...?"

Xie Lian smiled. "It's best to not ask questions."

Ling Wen nodded.

"Still, I think it would be beneficial for you to call over some deputy officials to help you out and lend you spiritual power if necessary."

Xie Lian almost told her about how he didn't have his cursed shackles anymore, they had just broken one day after a particularly passionate kiss he and Hua Cheng shared, unable to take on any more spiritual power. But he figured that may not be the best idea, as it may lead to questions.

Xie Lian disagreed, "Forget it, no one would come anyways."

Ling Wen pondered for a moment. "Maybe not, but I'm going to try anyway."

Xie Lian honestly did not care if she asked or not, so he neither protested nor agreed with her. He just simply stood there and let her do her thing.

"Everyone, the Heavenly Emperor has an urgent business to attend to in the North, and is in dire need of extra hands. Are there any martial gods that could spare two of their deputy martial gods to assist?"

As soon as the words were spoken, Mu Qing's voice responded airily. "I heard that the Heavenly Emperor is not in the North at the moment. Could this be to help His Highness the Crown Prince?"

Xie Lian thought to himself. "You really are in the communication array at all times..."

Ling Wen thought the same and obviously looked like she wanted to slap Mu Qing for obstructing her. But she smiled and said: "Xuan Zhen, how come I'm always seeing you in the array lately, you must have a lot of free time on your hands. Congratulations."

Mu Qing replied icily. "My hand is healing, I'm currently nursing the injury."

Everyone currently in the communication array thought to themselves: That hand can chop mountains and slash the seas without issues. What's a bell going to do to you?

Ling Wen wanted to wait until she had tricked two poor unsuspecting deputy gods into the mission before disclosing information, but she was trapped now. Not only did Mu Qing figure it out, but he just had to open his mouth and ruin her chances of getting two deputy officials to help Xie Lian.

Xie Lian told her: "I told you no one was going to come."

"If Xuan Zhen hadn't opened his mouth, I would've been successful."

Xie Lian chuckled. "You tried your best, you worded it perfectly, naturally anyone would come if they heard they would be assisting the emperor. Either way, I don't have any issues with operating alone. Thank you for your hard work. I'll be leaving now."

Ling Wen nodded. She cupped her hands. "Alright, I hope everything goes smoothly for you, Your Highness. May the Heaven official's give their blessings."

"No paths are bound." Xie Lian replied. He waved and left.