It was truly a strange sound, so strange it was hard to describe, it sounded something like two metal rods wrapped in cloth violently hitting the earth, there was also a dragging sound, like a huge python slithering through the grass. The sound had seemed distant at first, but quickly seemed to draw near, it was a mere instant before it would arrive at the temple. Xie Lian exchanged looks with Hua Cheng, he quickly disguised himself as a bride, while Hua Cheng turned into a single silver butterfly and hid in his hair, just before the doors opened with a creeeeak, the doors of Ming Guang temple opened.

Whatever being had come, god, or ghost, was most likely the Ghost Groom. There was nowhere to escape to without it noticing him. The gears in Xie Lian's head turned, Seeing the row of brides, he instantly put on his own veil and joined the line of brides.

If there were only a few brides standing there, anyone could easily tell that the numbers weren't correct, but since there were seventeen corpses here, it would be hard to tell if there was a fake if one didn't count each of them one by one.

He'd only just joined the line when he heard the strange thump-ing sound 'walk' in. Xie Lian remained as still as a statue. What exactly is this sound? By the length and the pause between each sound, it is reminiscent of footsteps, but who's footsteps would sound like that? It can't be Feng Xin or Mu Qing, I would've heard them arguing from miles away.

Suddenly, he realized something, Oh no! My height is going to give me away!

Each of the corpses were women, and Xie Lian wasn't exactly a short man. He really only seemed like a short man because he was constantly next to tall people like Feng Xin, Hua Cheng, and the Heavenly Emperor.

But then again, Xie Lian thought, Xiao-Ying had only bound his hair simply, the rest of these girls had been dressed to their nines, their hair-dos shot up to the sky, some even had phoenix crowns, a giant piece that rose over their heads, so considering that, they might not be that much shorter than him. Even if he was taller, he shouldn't be that conspicuous.

Just as he was thinking this, he heard a whoosh! about 6-meters away from him. A moment later, there was another whoosh! Xie Lian's stomach filled with dread, it was removing the bride's veils! Xie Lian though fast, WHAM! Ruoye shot out of his sleeve and hit the ghost groom hard.

There was a loud rumble, and black mist assaulted him. Xie Lian didn't know if the evil mist was toxic or not, but since his cursed shackle blocked all spiritual light that would have protected him, he immediately covered his nose and mouth. While he did so, Ruoye whirled wildly to blow away the air, dispersing the mist, There was another series of thumping sounds, and when Xie Lian cracked open his eyes, he saw a small short form flash by the temple entrance, the entrance was thrown open and a ball of black mist bolted into the forest.

Xie Lian chased the black mist immediately, yet he hadn't gone far before he saw fires blazing in the woods. The screams and shout of a mob ringing in the distance.

"Charge—!"

The voice of the youth was particularly loud and clear. "Catch the ugly freak and exterminate the evil for the people! We'll split the bounty between us!"

It was indeed the youth Xiao-Pengtou. Xie Lian inwardly let out a frustrated scream; this group had said they were going to come to the mountain, and they actually did. There was originally an enchanted array that didn't allow people to enter, but it had been crushed underfoot by his husband earlier. And this group, with their blind luck, actually managed to find the place. Luckily (or unluckily for them) the direction in which the group came from just so happened to be the same direction the ghost groom had fled to!