Chapter 2 - Reunions

Once Riley and Glenn climbed their way out of the drainage system Jaqui bombarded them with questions, barely letting them breathe. Glenn was too busy muttering about being covered in sewer water to bother answering her and Riley was sniggering at him, unfazed by the situation.

Glenn turned to glare at her but it looked more like a grimace, due to him not being able to forget the smell down there, and this only made the woman laugh at him more as she made her way out of the basement.

Their lighthearted moment was ruined by the sound of breaking glass and the groans of walkers getting louder, making them run into the front room meeting Rick and Andrea.

The walkers outside were piling onto the glass doors, some now using rocks to try and break the final barrier between them and their dinner.

"What did you find down there?" Rick questioned the pair, his eyes not leaving the door in front of him.

"Not a way out." Riley murmured just loud enough to be heard over the carnage outside. The doors were getting closer to their breaking point by the second.

***

They all regrouped on the roof of the building and Rick used the binoculars to survey their surroundings as the faint sound of thunder grew louder.
"That construction site. Those trucks keep the keys on hand." He passed the binoculars to Riley to take a look.

"You'll never get passed the walkers." Morales stated, looking down into the streets.

"You got me out of the tank." Rick turned to the woman beside him.

"Thats when they were feeding, they were distracted." Riley looked at him, a skeptical look covering her face as she saw Rick trying to formulate a plan.

"Can we distract them again?" Everyone looked at her for the answer.

"Why? You wanna be the bait?" She questioned the sheriff, reminding him of her previous words earlier that day.

"They're drawn by sound right?" He asked, unfazed by her words to him.

"Right, like dogs." Glenn responded, "They hear sound they come."

"What else?" Rick turned to the rest of the group.

"They hear you, see you, smell you and if they catch you they eat you." Morales looked Rick dead in the eye. This was common knowledge to everyone but the sheriff who was practically clueless on how everything worked now.

"They can tell us by smell?" Rick was shocked to hear, not expecting the dead to be able to catch their scent.

"Can't you?" Glenn exclaimed, becoming more antsy as the minutes passed. Riley placed her hand on his shoulder and he relaxed a little, appreciating her gesture, whilst Andrea spoke to Rick.

With his newfound knowledge Rick came up with a plan that everyone thought was insane. He began to grab the supplies he would need as Glenn just stood and watched. "If bad ideas were an Olympic event, this would take the gold."

Morales tried to get Rick to change his mind but he was quickly interrupted, "They already got through one set of doors, won't be long till they get through the other."

Riley quietly ran outside into the alley with Rick to grab the walker body in the street whilst Glenn and Morales covered them. They both grunted as the dragged the lifeless corpse into the building as fast as possible.

Riley grimaced as her hands sunk through the walkers skin on its arm due to grabbing it too tight, and she felt the sticky liquid cover her hands and lower arms.