✨ Mommy Dearest ✨

Keefe's POV:

Keefe blinked. He was sitting on a bed with his sketchbook laid out in front of him. He looked around and realized he was in HIS room, sitting on his bed. When he turned and looked behind him, he found..

Mommy Dearest standing there. She was watching him like she used to. Cold and distant, but not like she was in imminent threat.

Keefe jumped up, wishing Ro were there with him, and held up his sketchbook like a weapon as he gave himself a pat-down looking for his melder.

"If you take one more step I'm not afraid to numb you," he threatened when he didn't find it, even though his abilities had grown weaker since his time in the Forbidden Cities. But she didn't have to know that. "I'll make you hurt yourself if I have to."

Mommy Dearest frowned. "What are you talking about?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at his outburst. "Don't be ridiculous - you're not a mesmer. Empaths can't control people."

"But I'm not just an Empath anymore–thanks to my so-called 'legacy'–and now I have to deal with these new powers, but you already knew that. Thank you so much!" his voice was dripping with sarcasm. His mom's frown grew deeper with each word.

"Your legacy? Are you alright, Keefe? Or are you still bitter that your father ripped up your drawings?" she raised an eyebrow condescendingly.

"What drawings? I have a whole defense system so he can't get to them after he destroyed my artwork years ago," Keefe snapped. She has no recollection of anything from the past 5 years, a voice in his head said. In case you still haven't realized, you are in your past body, but with the power to fix everything that went wrong the first time. I will fix the slip-ups you made this time, but be careful and remember that you are not alone. Your friends still have their memories, and they will aid you in any way they can. Good luck, Keefe Sencen. He felt the 'presence' leave his mind, and wondered, could his mother truly not know what he was talking about? Speaking of the devil, his mother seemed to get lost in a trance, likely forgetting everything that he told her.

Keefe sighed. He knew the creepy voice in his head was giving the Black Swan a second chance–something they rarely got–but he would have to live with his mom for 2 years. Keefe wasn't sure he could do that. The voice-person hadn't told him, but he had the feeling he was back in time, along with all of his friends.

Inwardly cringing at how he would have to be nice to his mom, Keefe told himself that it wouldn't be for long and steeled himself for Mommy Dearest's fake sympathy at what his father did. Snapping out of her trance, Lady Gisela smiled at Keefe. He didn't return the gesture, and continued to draw in his sketchbook.

"Tomorrow's the opening ceremonies for Foxfire. You should try on your Level Four costume to see if it fits," his mom told him casually, as if she wasn't plotting to run his life.

"Why would I walk around wearing a dragon costume?" Keefe retorted. "Why don't you see if it fits you, and if it does then it'll be perfect! You can wear it to the ceremonies." he exclaimed mock-cheerfully. Mommy Dearest sighed and left the room. Smirking, Keefe returned to his drawing.

Biana's POV:

Biana stood in front of her mirror, trying on an infinitely gorgeous dress. Behind her, Maruca clapped, taking in the teal gown flecked with streaks of gold, and nodding her head in a definite yes.

"That's the one," Maruca told her proudly.

"I think so too," Biana turned around to face her friend. "Sophie should be here anytime soon." Fitz had told the girls about Sophie's plan, to do exactly what they had done before, but it would require a lot of acting. They were allowed to change things that had to do with Sophie and Dex's kidnapping, of course, but everything else should look the same because they had no idea if the Neverseen members still had their memories of not. As far as they could tell, only the Black Swan members who had been looking for Elysian still remembered. She had been the one who sent them back in time, to have another chance.

"Ugh, I can't believe we have to do everything all over again, from 5 years ago," Maruca grumbled, pinning Biana's hair into a bun. "I don't remember every single thing we did."

Biana nodded in agreement. "We might not remember every single moment, but we can just play along. But, that being said, I hope we can stay friends." She bit her lip.

Just then, her mother came into the room, taking in her outfit.

"You look stunning, sweetie. We have a guest, and your father wants us to meet her." Della's eyes sparkled with mischief, and she knew her mother wanted to sneak up on her. Biana rolled her eyes. She remembered what a brat she was to Sophie when she first came to the Lost Cities, and she didn't want to play the role of an entitled, self-absorbed person again if she could help it.

"Mom, don't scare whoever came with your vanishing. We want to make a good first impression," Biana chided her mother playfully. Maruca smirked.

"Well, that's my cue to leave," she said, giving Biana a quick hug before leaping back home, just as she did before. Alright, she can do this.

Dex's POV:

Dex blinked. He was standing in the family store, Slurps N' Burps. Confused, he looked around, wondering why he was here and not staring at Vespera's dead body. Or looking at Elysian. The last thing he registered were the words "I am Elysian, and I am the power source you have been looking for." Then he blinked, and he was here. Was Elysian some kind of teleporter, who can send people anywhere? If she was, then where was everyone else?

"Dex! Do you have the elixir I asked for?" His dad called out.

"I can't find it!" Dex called back. What elixir is he talking about? His dad came to the back, and sighed.

"It's right here," he told him, exasperated, taking a bottle of Sea See and waving it in front of him.

"Oh! I didn't see that," Dex shrugged, assuming innocence. I don't know what's going on, but it must have something to do with Elysian. It makes sense. We see her, and the second I blink, I end up here.

"Well, it doesn't matter. Come help me in the front with the customers," he said, turning to go to the counter. Dex followed suit. Suddenly, he was pulled over into an empty aisle, and with a stifled cry of surprise, Dex found himself being confronted by none other than Marella Redek.

"What are we doing here?" she hissed, shaking him hard.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out. My dad isn't surprised we're here instead of being home. Something strange is going on," Dex replied.

"You think?" Marella asked sarcastically. Then her expression changed.

"Dex! Who are you talking to?" Kesler came around the aisle. Marella dropped her hands, putting on a nervous smile and facing Dex's dad.

"This is Marella. She goes to Foxfire too," Dex explained. Marella fidgeted with her hands, and it was then that Dex thought to wonder about her Pyrokinesis.

"Oh! It's nice to meet you. Do you have your mastodon costume ready for Foxfire?" his dad asked.

Marella's smile froze. She and Dex exchanged a quick glance, communicating panicked emotions solely through their eyes. The only reason Foxfire would require them to wear a mastodon costume would be for the Openings Ceremony in the beginning of Level Two.

"No," Marella responded shortly, albeit shakily as she looked up to meet Kesler's eyes. "Foxfire isn't for a bit, though, so I'll try it on in a couple days."

Kesler looked down at her, puzzled. "Foxfire starts in three days," he told her.

"Well, a bit of time for me is three days. I procrastinate a lot," Marella explains quickly.

"Makes sense. Dex here is the opposite, though. Always doing something or the other in that lab of his. Well, I'll leave you two to it. Dex remember to take over at the counter in ten minutes." With that, Kesler turns and leaves.