Chapter 1 - Choices have consequences (Part 1)

[Re-edited: 16/01/2024]

Hello to all of you readers!

I hope you'll enjoy this novel as much as I enjoy writing it.

In any case, I want you guys to know that I'm currently Re-editing the novel, simply because my skills and vision about this novel improved a lot as I kept writing, so I'm not satisfied with the beginning chapters. It will take time, but I will make them as good as I expect them to be, even if I have to re-write them almost entirely, like Chapter 1.

Anyway, I won't bore you anymore.

Have a good read!

Calm Wanderer

*********************

New York City, USA.

Damian's P.O.V.

As the cacophony of the 'city that never sleeps' resounded in the ears of the people exiting the subway's entrance, a young man, who looked just as tired and apathetic as everyone else around him suddenly checked his watch. "10 p.m., uh?...." He muttered with a tired sigh, his body automatically moving in his apartment's direction. 'I wonder if it'll ever end... The compulsory overtime disguised as some bullshit excuses like "Think about it as a boost for your career Damian", and "Everyone has it hard Mr. Knight, so suck it up!"...' Shaking his head inwardly, he continued his inner monologue.

'I should just quit... But what should I do afterward?...' The decision was far from being easy. Trading his current situation for something unknown... He was aware of what was the right decision to make, but fear made him hesitate. Lost in thought, it took him a few seconds to realize that the ringing tone of his own phone had replaced the music he was listening to in his earbuds.

Feeling a bit lost, he simply decided to ignore the call, as he lacked the energy to talk to anyone. 'It's probably some random advertisement.' He thought despite not believing it for even a single second. After all, which company would be stupid enough to call someone at 10 PM and still believe that they would answer happily?

There was no way. To be honest, there was only one person who called him regularly. His mother. There was one way to be sure that it was her. Simply wait for the ringing tone to stop and if they resumed swiftly afterward, there would be a 99% chance that it would be her calling.

A few seconds later, his music stopped a second time, replaced also a second time by his phone's ringing. With a wry smile on his face, the 30-year-old knew that he could not avoid her any longer. To be fair, he could, but he did not want to hurt one of the only people who cared about him in this otherwise cold world.

Taking out his smartphone, he immediately spotted the three-letter word that further confirmed his previous guess. Unfortunately, as Damian was about to tap on the green icon on the screen, the call ended, making him both frustrated and relieved for some reason.

Chuckling wryly when he noticed his own reaction, he decided to keep the phone in his hand since... Just then, the ringing resounded a third time in his ears with the same word written in large font on his phone's screen. This time, he immediately tapped the call button instead of letting it ring away.

"Hey, Mom! Sorry if I didn't answer right away. I was... Busy." He said in a voice that made him wince due to how unconvincing he sounded. "Hi, Sweety! It's fine, don't worry about it. I just wanted to call you because I've got a few guests that you know very well who just arrived." Pausing for a second the mature woman at the other end of the line then added.