The Ceremony

Mal

I’m a little stressed today. The council meetings, Malina’s ceremony, the children, etc. Luckily Evie is taking care of the ceremony, Auradon Mom (Belle)  and Auradon Dad (Adam) are taking care of the meetings so Ben and I can spend some time with the kids.

“Mal, Ben, the limo is ready” Chip smiles, walking into Ben and I playing with the kids.

“Thank you Chip” Ben says, “ Are you boys ready to go?”

“Yeah,” they say,

“Let's get started. Your grandparents, aunts, and uncles are going to meet us there okay” I confirm.

“Aye Aye” they laugh back,

I playfully roll my eyes and ruffle their blond hair, “You’ve been spending way too much time with Uncle Harry”

“Bea do you want to be picked up?” Ben asks in a character voice.

“Up pwease” she giggles.

I take the boys’ hands and Ben carries Bea out and into the limo. It’s a short ride to the mural in the middle of Auradon while Auradon Prep buses follow. The whole kingdom comes, even the schools.

We walk out as the paparazzi start flashing their cameras

We walk out as the paparazzi start flashing their cameras. I hold the boys’ hands tighter and make our way in front of the mural. Evie, Carlos, and Jays immediately come and hug me and the boys before working their way to Bea and Ben.

We don’t even have to talk about it. We understand. I can’t imagine not having them. Next Auradon Mom and Auradon Dad come to hug us as well. My Dad (Hades) comes to hug us and then fools around with the kids for a little.

Rapunzel, Eugene, Arianna and Frederick come up and hug us. They are angels really. Arianna and Frederick took time out of their schedules each week so we could talk about everything we felt. Especially in the beginning. They really helped us to cope with Melina’s loss. Obviously because they lost Rapunzel so they were a huge help.

I really formed a close bond with Arianna and Belle. When it first happened Ben and I fell apart. Everyone really helped us to get back together and to healthily move on. And then when I was expecting Mason I felt like it was wrong that I didn’t protect Malina and that I was ignoring that she might still be out there. But they helped me to see that I wasn’t replacing Malina, but that I was moving on, and that Malina wouldn’t want me to be depressed forever. Having Mason though and then Blake and Bea really helped Ben and I’s relationship.

This ceremony is to honor Malina. The mural was placed a few months after her disappearance, and every year on her birthday we come and light candles. So many it lights up all of Auradon. Ben and I make speeches and the kids get it, well more like Mason and Blake but Bea understands a little.

“Thank you all for coming to this ceremony. I thank you all for coming every year. Malina wasn’t just the Princess of Auradon, she was our daughter, and future Queen. I believe that she is still out there, and I know that someday she will come back to us.” Ben cries.

I tear up and start my speech, “ Malina is not forgotten, she is always with us. In our hearts she will always be. I might not have been able to stop it, but I will never forget it. You all being here has helped us so greatly. We were not in a great place, but we are healing but not without the help and support of our family, friends and all of you. So thank you! Now let’s be happy, and light the candles”

I light the candle and then together with Ben, Bea, Blake and Mason we start to sing.

Ben

Looking back at yesterday
I thought I gave it everything
But still there's so much road ahead of me

Mal
When I looked into your eyes
I guess I didn't recognize
Who we are and all that we can be

Sometimes it's hard to find yourself
But it's worth it in the end
'Cause in your heart is where it all begins

Mason and Blake
We gotta be bold
We gotta be brave
We gotta be free
It starts with you and me (whoa-oh, whoa-oh, hey)

Evie
There's something special that I've learned
It's together we can change the world

Jay
Everybody's got something they can bring
When you take a look inside yourself

Carlos
Do you wish that you were something else?
But who you are is who you need to be

Mal
Sometimes it's hard to find yourself
But it's worth it in the end
'Cause in your heart is where it all begins

Mason and Blake
It starts with you and me (whoa-oh, whoa-oh, hey)

The song is much slower and sadder but it was tradition to sing it while the people light their candles together.

The candles are sent to all kingdoms so some people light them at home and it lights up the kingdom. One by one some people who attend bring up their candle to place it by the mural. Some keep them to bring them home and keep it lit, but others choose to leave them.

The crowd parts and a girl steps forward. I recognize her as M, one of the VKs. There’s something so familiar about her but I shrug it off.

She walks up pretty gracefully and places the candle in front. She looks up and gives a little smile before disappearing into the crowd. Something made me want to go after her, something inside felt a connection to her. But I didn’t.

DiDi

It’s later in the evening when we get back into our dorms. We sit down and do the last of our homework before we get ready for bed.

“Goodnight M, happy birthday”

“Goodnight” she says, closing her eyes.

If you have any suggestions about what to continue with I'm all ears!