17 - Witness

Ochaco and Kyoka's eyes had gone wide- neither one of them had witnessed Izuku heal anyone firsthand.

Shinso and Kyoka had been unconscious when he healed them before and Ochaco had been preoccupied with his well being when he healed her from burns during Katsuki's accident.

Behind him, Shinso had stopped breathing.

Nothing happened. The bite mark remained, the puncture wounds raw.

Without a word, Katsuki smoothed the bandage back into place.

"Damn," Kyoka breathed.

Snapping the knife closed, Izuku jammed it back into his pocket. He told Katsuki, "This is our life now. Every hour, on the hour. I'm not even scheduled to take the injection until this evening. And we'll count every hour past then."

Katsuki nodded. "We'll figure out a way to hide it. Until we have another alternative."

"That's our cue to get out of here," Kyoka said to Shinso. She paused "Just how worried should I be about coming up against this old, famous Aizawa of the Fae?"

Shinso said without hesitation, "He's going to kick our asses."

The harpy barked out a short laugh. She had switched over to fighting mode, Izuku saw, and looked fierce and eager. "So be it."

The pair strode for the veranda where Hora waited. When they left, Mailey went with them.

"You go on too," Izuku said to Ochaco. "Give us a minute."

Ochaco paused with a frown. Telepathically, she said, "Okay, but for the record, I don't like leaving you so close to him right now."

"Duly noted," Izuku told her. "And, for the record, if he changes, I'm faster than you are."

"Yeah. Okay, you have a point," Ochaco said. "Just- Izuku, you might be faster than I am, but that doesn't mean you're going to react fast if Katsuki changes."

Izuku reached for patience. Ochaco was only trying to protect him. "I appreciate your point, but I'm still asking you to go."

Emitting a soft growl, the woman complied.

Izuku turned back to Katsuki, cupping his own elbows so that he didn't forget and reach out to him. "We touch each other a lot," he muttered. "I'm always just about to reach out to you, and then I have to catch myself up."

"I know," Katsuki said. "I'm doing the same. It's driving me insane." With a quick, impatient flick, he snapped the heavy chain that shackled one wrist. "I'm also beginning to realize how much I pace."

"We'll get you free." He tightened his fingers, gripping himself hard. "Kacchan, Ochaco brought up Iori. She wondered if he might be able to help you."

Katsuki's darkened gaze flared. "No! We're not going to bring him into this mess."

He jerked his head in a nod. "I had the same reaction. I could never knowingly put him in danger." He searched his expression. "But what if we're wrong? Your life could be at stake. Hell, mine and Nugget's could be too."

Katsuki shook his head, stubborn determination stamped on his rugged features. "We're not there yet. Did you notice? The wound hasn't gotten worse."

His breath left him, and he sagged. "I wasn't sure. I didn't dare to hope."

"I noted before- the ends of the streaks were just beginning to show at the edges of the bandage." Katsuki held out his muscled forearm for him to inspect. "Look. They haven't gotten worse. We're holding our own."

He sagged. "That's the best news I've gotten all day."

"Chin up." Katsuki's voice had gentled. "Look at me."

He lifted his gaze to his. Katsuki looked so wrong, with his fierce red eyes darkened, the gold rim around it that represents his dragon was almost gone.

It was like the sky going dark in the middle of the day. The sight made the tiny hairs on the back of his neck raise.

But Katsuki's expression was all his, fierce and tender at once. Giving him a slight smile, he whispered, "I'm putting my hand to your cheek right now."

The stubborn strength that had kept Izuku's knees locked threatened to give way. Closing his eyes, he whispered back, "I'm putting my arms around you, and leaning my head on your shoulder."

"And I'm stroking your hair, and kissing you." Katsuki took a deep breath. "And I am always, always going to hold on to you with all of my strength. Always, Izuku."

The adamant surety in his husband's voice steadied Izuku like nothing else could have.

Following Katsuki's lead, he breathed deeply, taking in the reality of him. Then Izuku looked up at him again. "We'll deal with whatever may happen next."

Katsuki's smile deepened, and Izuku knew that he had gone back to the first time he had said it.

"We always do," Katsuki agreed. "Now, since I'm chained up here, and Shinso and Kyoka have left, why don't you go take a look at those maps and see how many areas this contagion has spread to?"

"Okay." He nodded. "We need to know that. If it spreads too much further, they're going to have to go public about this. I guess I can understand why they haven't yet, but this might have grown into something they can't control anymore."

"If they continue to be reluctant to go public," Katsuki said, "then we will. I hate as much as anybody the fact that this appears to be yet another catastrophe instigated by the Archaic Races, but people need to be aware of the danger. Too many lives are at stake. If there's any political fall out from this, we'll just have to deal with it later."

"Understood," he said. He searched his expression. "Do you need anything- anything to drink or eat?"

"I'm good."

"I'll be back soon." He smiled and whispered, "I'm kissing you right now."

Katsuki swore softly, frustration evident in the snap of his voice. "I'm kissing you too."

With that, Izuku had to be content enough to walk away.