Chapter 4 - Victory of the Daleks

After they had a few hours of sleep and some food in their stomachs, the TARDIS materialized in the storage room of the secret Cabinet War Rooms and having such an occurrence in such a secret facility, the soldiers came immediately running into the room. Then the Doctor opened the TARDIS as then he saw soldiers standing there with their weapons aimed at him. Winston Churchill made himself known, he stepped past the soldiers as then the Doctor stepped fully out of the TARDIS. Then Maddie and Amy followed him out of the TARDIS, then he introduced them to Winston Churchill. “Amy, Maddie.” He held his arm out. “Winston Churchill.”

“Doctor?” Winston looked up and down at the Doctor. “Is it you?”

“Oh, Winston, my old friend!” The Doctor laughed as he was going to shake Winston’s hand, but he motioned his own like he wanted something. “Ah, every time!”

“What's he after?” Maddie asked to the Doctor. Amy looked curiously at the scene.

“TARDIS key, of course.” The Doctor replied to her.

“Think of what I could achieve with your remarkable machine, Doctor!” Winston argued. “The lives that could be saved!”

“Ah, doesn't work like that.” The Doctor closed the TARDIS doors.

“Must I take it by force?” Winston threatened playfully at the Doctor.

“I'd like to see you try.” The Doctor replied playfully back to him.

Winston turned to the soldiers. “At ease.”

“You rang?” The Doctor asked to him.

Winston led them out of the room and through a corridor as they heard the sounds of an air raid happening above them filtering down to them. “So you've changed your face, again.”

“Yeah, well, had a bit of work done.” The Doctor comment to him.

Then Maddie looked at him confused. “Changed your face again?”

“Tine Lords have a thing called regeneration. When we are seriously hurt or dying, we regenerate. Every single cell in our bodies change, so does our appearance.” The Doctor explained it to her.

“Does that hurt, changing your body and appearance?” She asked another question.

“Sadly yes, it hurt very much, Maddie.” The Doctor replied as he looked sadly to her.

“Then I don’t want to change if it hurt that bad.” Maddie comment, crossing her arms.

Then Amy suddenly cheered. “Got it, got it, got it! Cabinet War Rooms, right?”

“Yup.” The Doctor replied to her. “Top secret heart of the War Office, right under London.”

“You're late, by the way.” Winston informed the Doctor.

Then a woman came to Winston as she handed over a clipboard. Then he quickly gave his cane to the Doctor. “Requisitions, sir.”

“Excellent.” Winston checked them over.

“Late?” The Doctor asked, he checked his watch. He frowned.

“I rang you a month ago.” Winston replied to him as he sighed on the clipboard, finishing he check on it.

“Really?” The Doctor asked, then he cored himself as he said to Winston. “Sorry. Sorry, it's a Type 40 TARDIS. I'm just running her in.” Maddie just rolled with her eyes, they had just found her dad.

Winston handed the clipboard to the girl. “Something the matter, Breen?” He asked to her as she wasn’t looking happy. “You look a little down in the dumps.”

“No, sir.” Breen hugged the clipboard. “Fine, sir.”

“Action this day, Breen!” Winston said to her. “Action this day!”

“Yes, sir.” Breen nodded to him as then she glanced at Amy and Maddie as then she walked away from them.

“Excuse me, sir, got another formation coming in, Prime Minister.” An office said to him as he walked forwards to Winston. “Stukas, by the look of them.”

“We shall go up top then, Group Captain!” Winston ordered. “We'll give 'em what for!” Then he looked at the Doctor. “Coming, Doctor?”

“Why?” The Doctor asked to him.

Winston grabbed his cane back. “I have something to show you.” Then he walked away as the Doctor turned to the girls and mouthed ‘ooh.’ As then they all followed Winston to a lift, when everyone was in Winston began to talk again. The Doctor stood next to Winston as Maddie and Amy stood behind them. Winston had his cigar in his mouth. “We stand at a crossroads, Doctor. Quite alone, with our backs to the wall. Invasion is expected daily. So I will grasp with both hands anything that will give us an advantage over the Nazi menace.”

“Such as?” The Doctor asked to him.

“Follow me.” Winston replied as he left the lift, followed by the others. They all walked to the roof top as they see a man standing there, watching the sky with binoculars. Air balloons and a buns of buildings.

“Wow!” Amy comment.

“You just said it all.” Maddie comment to Amy.

“Doctor, this is Professor Edwin Bracewell. Head of our Ironsides Project.” Winston introduced the man with binoculars to the Doctor. The Doctor held his hand up in a V for victory sign.

“How d'you do?” Bracewell asked as then he resumed his watch on the London skyline.

“Oh, Doctor…” Maddie began to say.

Then Amy finished her sentence. “Doctor, its History.” They both looked at the sky.

“Ready, Bracewell?” Winston called to Bracewell.

“Aye-aye, sir.” Bracewell gave him thumbs up. “On my order! Fire!”

From within a sandbagged area, a laser shot out and fired at the German planes, destroying them instantly. Then Amy asked to the Doctor. “What was that?” As Maddie stood there frightened.

The Doctor could feel her fear. “That wasn't human, that was never human technology.” Then he demanded to Bracewell while running on the stairs. “That sounded like… Show me!” Then he stood beside Bracewell. He needed to know exactly what she was dealing with, he had an idea, but he needed to know for sure. Maddie needed to be safe from whatever that is. “Show me what that was!”

“Advance!” Bracewell ordered.

“Our new secret weapon!” Winston said proudly as a Dalek trundled out from behind the sandbags, painted an army green, a utility belt around it with a small union flag under its eyestalk. “What do you think? Quite something, eh?”

“What are you doing here?” The Doctor stared at the Dalek.

“I am your soldier.” It replied to him.

“What?” The Doctor stood there shocked, he didn’t want his soulmate in danger.

“I am your soldier.”

“Stop this. Stop now!” The Doctor ordered. “You know who I am, you always know.”

“Your identity is unknown.”

“Perhaps I can clarify things here, this is one of my Ironsides.” Bracewell stepped up.

“You’re what?” The Doctor frowned.

Then Bracewell turned to the Dalek. “You will help the Allied cause in any way that you can?”

“Yes.”

“Until the Germans have been utterly smashed?”

“Yes.”

“And what is your ultimate aim?”

“To win the war!”

The Doctor stood there horrified, looked at the Dalek.

~00~

The plans were all scattered out on the desk of Winston’s office, diagrams, photos, blueprints, everything on how the build a Dalek. The Doctor pointed on the paper from the desk. “They're Daleks! They're called Daleks!” Maddie stood next to the Doctor, clearly still frightened.

“They are Bracewell's Ironsides, Doctor!” Winston called to the Doctor, clearly he don’t believe him. “Look! Blueprints, statistics, field-tests, photographs. He invented them!”

“Invented them?” The Doctor looked at him. “Oh, no, no, no!”

“Yes!” Winston argued. “He approached one of our brass hats a few months ago. Fella's a genius.”

“A Scottish genius, too. Maybe you should listen to…” Amy was interrupted by the Doctor.

“Shh!” The Doctor said to Amy as she just shut up, then he looked back at Winston. “He didn't invent them! They're alien.”

“Alien?” Winston raised an eye brow.

“Yes.” Maddie whispered as then the Doctor held her hand.

“And totally hostile!” The Doctor added.

“Precisely. They will win me the war!” Winston said to him as then he turned over a poster to see a large Dalek before he walked out of the room, followed by the Doctor, Amy and Maddie.

“Why won't you listen? Why call me in if you won't listen to me?!” The Doctor asked, while he and the others followed Winston.

“When I rang you a month ago, I must admit, I had my doubts.” Winston told them. “The Ironsides seemed too good to be true.”

“Yes! Right! So destroy them!” The Doctor called to him. “Exterminate them!”

“But imagine what I could do with a hundred!” Winston walked into the map room. “A thousand!”

“I am imagining.” The Doctor told then as Winston was fully disappeared into the room, then he turned to Amy. “Amy, tell him.” He didn’t want to Maddie to explain to Winston, because she too afraid of them as he still held her hand, for comfort.

“Tell him what?” Amy asked to the Doctor confused.

“About the Daleks!” The Doctor replied to her, getting frustrated.

“What would I know about the Daleks?” Amy asked confused.

“Everything. They invaded your world, remember?” The Doctor looked at her, not understanding that she didn’t know about the Daleks. “Planets in the sky, you don't forget that! Amy Tell me you remember the Daleks.”

“Amy, please.” Maddie said quietly.

“Nope, sorry.” Amy looked at the both of them.

“That's not possible.” The Doctor gasped at her. Then the three of them stepped into the mag room, where Winston was. They stopped with walking as the Doctor stared at the Dalek in the room. “So they're up to something.” The Doctor comment. “But what is it? What are they after?”

“Well, let's just ask, shall we?” Amy asked to him as she strode right over to the Dalek.

“Amy, Amelia!” The Doctor called to her as she just ignored him.

Amy tapped on the Dalek, gassing the thing looking at her. “Can I be of assistance?” It asked to her.

“Oh. Yes. Yes!” Amy replied to the Dalek. “See, my friend reckons you're dangerous. That you're an alien. Is it true?”

“I am your soldier.”

“Yeah. Got that bit. Love a squaddie. What else, though?”

“Please excuse me.” The Dalek swiveled and continued on its way. “I have duties to perform.”

The Doctor waited till the Dalek was out of the room, before he went over to Winston. Maddie followed him. “Winston, Winston, please.”

“We are waging total war, Doctor!” Winston exclaimed. “Day after day, the Luftwaffe pound this great city like an iron fist.”

“Wait till the Daleks get started.” The Doctor comment.

“The Daleks are far worse than any of this.” Maddie said a little bit angry as Winston wasn’t listening to the Doctor.

“Men, women and children slaughtered. Families torn apart. Wren's churches in flame.” Winston said to him.

“Yeah?” The Doctor comment to him. “Try the Earth in flames!”

Winston was moving around the table. “I weep for my country, I weep for my empire. It is breaking my heart.”

“But you're resisting, Winston!” The Doctor explained it to him. “The whole world knows you're resisting! You're a beacon of hope.”

“But for how long?” Winston let out a long sigh. “Millions of innocent lives will be saved if I use these Ironsides now!”

A Dalek rolled forwards. “Can I be of assistance?”

“Shut it!” The Doctor shouted to the Dalek as then he talked further to Winston. “Listen to me. Just listen! The Daleks have no conscience. No mercy. No pity. They are my oldest and deadliest enemy. You cannot trust them!”

“If Hitler invaded hell, I would give a favorable reference to the Devil!” Winston snapped at him. “These machines will be our salvation!” Then a siren sounded, then he signed. “Oh, the all-clear. We are safe. For now.” Then he left the room as the Doctor stared at the Dalek, before it also left the room.

“Doctor, it's the all-clear.” Amy came over to them. “Are you okay?”

“What does hate look like, Amy?” The Doctor asked to her as he knew that Maddie exactly knows the Daleks.

“Hate?” Amy asked confused.

“It looks like a Dalek. And I'm going to prove it.” The Doctor replied to her as then he put a cap on the table while he walked away from them, quickly Amy and Maddie followed him.

~00~

The Doctor strode through the door, immediately starting the check things out as Amy looked around at all the equipment. Maddie looked with the Doctor, throughout the stuff.

“All right, Prof!” The Doctor turned to Bracewell. “The PM's been filling me in. Amazing things, these Ironsides of yours. Amazing. You must be very proud of them.”

“Just doing my bit.” Bracewell was working on his desk.

“Not bad for a Paisley boy.” Amy comment.

“Yes, I thought I detected a familiar cadence, my dear.” Bracewell turned to look at her.

“How did you do it? Come up with the idea?” Maddie decided to ask to him.

“How does the muse of invention come to anyone?” Bracewell asked back to her.

This time the Doctor asked. “But you get a lot of these clever notions, do you?”

“Well, ideas just seem to teem from my head! Wonderful things! Like let me show you.” Bracewell walked over to another desk as the others followed him, then he grabbed some fells and showed it to the Doctor. “Some musings on the potential of hypersonic flight. Gravity bubbles that could sustain life outside of the terrestrial atmosphere! Came to me in the bath!”

“And are these your ideas or theirs?” The Doctor asked, he found it suspicious.

“No, no, no, no.” Bracewell replied to him. “These robots are entirely under my control, Doctor. They are…” A Dalek came with his tea. “Thank you the perfect servant, and the perfect warrior.”

“I don't know what you're up to, Professor, but whatever they've promised, you cannot trust them!” The Doctor just glared at Bracewell. “Call them what you like, the Daleks are death!”

Then Winston strode into the room with another Dalek. ‘Great.’ Maddie thought. “Yes, Doctor. Death to our enemies! Death to the forces of darkness, and death to the Third Reich!”

“Yes, Winston, and death to everyone else too!” The Doctor comment to him. 

“Would you care for some tea?” A Dalek rolled over to the Doctor, with a tray balanced on its sucker arm.

The Doctor smashed the tray out of its suckers arm. “Stop this! What are you doing here? What do you want?”

“We seek only to help you.” The Dalek replied to him.

“To do what?”

“To win the war.”

“Really? Which war?”

“I do not understand.”

“This war? Against the Nazis? Or your war? The war against the rest of the Universe? The war against all life-forms that are not Dalek?”

“I do not understand. I am your soldier.”

“Oh, yeah?” The Doctor grabbed a giant snapper. “Okay. Okay, soldier, defend yourself!” Then he started banning the snapper against the Dalek.

“Doctor, what the devil?!” Winston demanded.

“You do not require tea?” The Dalek asked.

The Doctor didn’t answer him as he hit another strike on the Dalek. “Stop it!” Bracewell shouted. “Prime Minister, please!”

“Doctor, please, these machines are precious.” Winston called to the Doctor.

“Come on! Fight back!” The Doctor shouted at the Dalek as Maddie could feel his anger for it. “You want to, don't you? You know you do!”

“I must protest!” Bracewell called.

“What are you waiting for? You hate me. You want to kill me. Well, go on! Kill me. Kill me!” The Doctor shouted at the Dalek.

Amy pulled him back from it. “Doctor, be careful!” She called to him.

“Please desist from striking me.” The Dalek requested. “I am your soldier.”

“You are my enemy! And I am yours! You are everything I despise!” The Doctor shouted at it. “The worst thing in all creation. I've defeated you time and time again, I've defeated you. I sent you back into the void! I saved the whole of reality from you! I am the Doctor! And you are the Daleks!” then he kicked the Dalek, causing it the roll backwards.

“Correct.” Dalek said to them all. “Review testimony.” Then the Doctor voice filled the room. “'I am the Doctor. And you are the Daleks!'”

“Testimony?” The Doctor asked, confused. “What are you talking about, testimony?”

“Transmitting testimony now.” A second Dalek stated.

“Transmit what, where?” The Doctor asked to the Daleks.

“Testimony accepted!” A Dalek stated.

“Get back! All of you!” The Doctor said to the others as he stood for Maddie and Amy. In a protected manner.

“Marines! Marines!” Winston shouted. “Get in here!” then two of the marines came into the room as they were shot on the spot by the Daleks, falling on the ground dead.

“Stop it! Stop it, please!” Bracewell shouted at them. “What are you doing? You are my Ironsides!”

“We are the Daleks!” The first Dalek stated.

“But I created you!” Bracewell said, not understanding why this is happening.

“No. We created you!” The Dalek shot Bracewell’s hand, revealing a stump of wires and metal. Then all the Daleks cheered. “Victory! Victory! Victory!” Then they just disappeared.

“What just happened, Doctor?” Maddie asked scared.

“I wanted to know what they wanted. What their plan was. I was their plan!” The Doctor replied to her, before he took off, running out of the room, followed by Maddie.

“Hey!” Amy called, before she went after them.

~00~

They had arrived in the storage room as the Doctor walked straight to his TARDIS. “Testimony accepted! That's what they said! My testimony.” He unlocked the TARDIS.

“Don't beat yourself up.” Amy said to him.

“What do we do?” Maddie asked, she didn’t want to stay on earth, she wanted to go in the TARDIS.

“Is this what we do now? Chase after them?” Amy asked to him.

“This is what I do.” The Doctor looked at them both. “It's dangerous, so you two wait here.”

“What, so you mean I've got to stay safe down here in the middle of the London Blitz?” Amy asked him seriously.

“I don’t like it.” Maddie told them.

“Safe as it gets around me.” The Doctor replied to her as then he stepped into the TARDIS and it dematerialized.

When the TARDIS was fully gone, Amy asked. “What does he expect us to do now?”

“KBO, of course.” Winston replied to her.

“What?” Maddie asked confused.

“Keep buggering on!” Winston replied this time to her.

Then Breen came running into the room. “Prime Minister.”

“Yes?” Winston asked as then Breen was by them and had a paper in her hand.

“Signal from RDF, sir. Unidentified object.” Breen explained. “Hanging in the sky, Captain Childers says. We can't get a proper fix, though. It's too far up.”

“What do you think, Miss Pond, Miss Turner?” Winston looked at them. “The Doctor's in trouble and now we know where he is.”

“Yeah.” Amy replied to him. “Cos he'll be on that ship, won't he?”

“Right in the middle of everything.” Maddison added.

“Exactly!” Winston comment.

~00~

They were back in the map room, when there was chaos as a man called to Winston. “The generators won't switch off! The lights are on all across London, Prime Minister!” 

“Has to be them. Has to be the Daleks.” Amy guessed it. ‘Guessed it right.’ Maddie thought.

“The Germans can see every inch of the city. We're sitting ducks.” Winston said as then he turned to an officer. “Get those lights out before the Germans get here!” The officer nodded, before he hurried off. “Thousands will die if we don't get those lights out now.”

“German bombers sighted over the Channel, sir.” Breen reported to Winston. “ETA 10 minutes, sir.”

“Here they come. Get a message to Mr. Attlee. War Cabinet meeting at 0300.” Winston ordered to her as then he comment to himself. “If we're all still here.”

“We can't just sit here!” Amy said, trying to think. “We've got to take the fight to the Daleks!”

“How?” Winston asked. “None of our weapons are a match for theirs.”

“Oh, look, we must have something.” Amy murmured as she in thought, but she blank a sheet.

Maddie thought about it to as a thought came to her mind. “Oh!” She looked at both of them. “Staring us in the face! A gift! From the Daleks!”

~00~

Amy, Winston and Maddie walked into Bracewell’s lap, seeing him with a gun in his hand. Then Winston ordered to Bracewell. “Bracewell! Put the gun down!”

“My life is a lie, and I choose to end it.” Bracewell said, his voice shaking slightly.

“In your own time, Paisley boy.” Amy comment.

“Because right now we need your help.” Maddie added.

“But those creatures My Ironsides!” Bracewell continued. “They made me? I… I can remember things. So many things. The last war. The squalor and the mud and the awful, awful misery of it all. What am I? What am I?”

“What you are, sir, is either on our side, or theirs. Now, I don't give a damn if you're a machine, Bracewell Are you a man?”

“Listen to me. I understand. Really, I do.” Amy replied to him, pulling his gun out of his hands.

“Look, there is a spaceship up there lighting up London like a Christmas tree.” Maddie went straight to the point. “Thousands of people will die tonight if we don't stop it, and you're the only one who can help take it down.”

“I am?” Bracewell wondered.

“You're alien technology.” Maddie explained. “You're as clever as the Daleks are. So start thinking!”

“What about rockets?” Amy wondered. “You got rockets? Cos you said gravity whatsits, hypersonic flight, some kind of missile.”

“This isn't a fireworks party, Miss Pond!” Winston scolded to Amy as then he started thinking. “We need proper tactical A missile or?”

“Or what?” Amy asked confused.

“We could send something up there, you say?” Winston asked to Bracewell.

“With a gravity bubble, yes.” Bracewell grabbed the plans and he showed it to Winston. “Theoretically it's possible we could actually send something into space.”

“Bracewell. It's time to think big!” Winston said before slapping the plans on the table.

~00~

They were back in the map room as Bracewell came rolling in with a chair, on it a green box. “At last! Are they ready?” Winston asked to him.

“I hope so.” Bracewell put the green box on the table. “But in the meantime…” He wacked the box. “This will pick up Dalek transmissions.” The screen went static before showing a black and white image of the Doctor and new Daleks.

“We are the paradigm of a new Dalek race.”

“It's him! It's the Doctor!” Maddie said happily to see the Doctor.

“Scientist, Strategist, Drone. Eternal. And the Supreme.”

“Which would be you, I'm guessing? Well, nice paintjob. I'd be feeling pretty swish if I looked like you. Pretty "supre-eme.”

“He's got company. New company.” Amy said to them. “We've got to hurry up!”

Then a phone began ringing as Bracewell picked it up. “Yes? Right. Right, thanks!” then he hung up and said to Winston. “Ready when you are, Prime Minister.”

“Splendid!” Winston said quickly.

“Spaceship's exact co-ordinates located!” Bracewell said to them.

“Go to it, Group Captain! Go to it!” Winston ordered to an officer.

“Broadsword to Danny Boy! Broadsword to Danny Boy!” The officer speak through into a phone. “Scramble! Scramble! Scramble!”

~00~

An alarm went off on the Dalek ship as the Daleks rolls over to a screen. “Alert! Unidentified projectile approaching! Correction. Multiple projectiles!” The Doctor looked at a second screen.

“What have the humans done?” one of the Daleks turned to look at the Doctor.

“I don't know.” He replied.

“Explain! Explain! Explain!” The Dalek said.

“Danny Boy to the Doctor! Danny Boy to the Doctor! Are you receiving me? Over.” A voice came over the intercom as the people from earth were listening in.

“Oh, Winston! You beauty!” The Doctor called happily.

“Danny Boy to the Doctor! Come in. Over.”

“Loud and clear, Danny Boy! Big dish. Side of the ship. Blow it up! Over!” The Doctor instructed.

“Exterminate the Doctor!” The Daleks said as the Doctor run to his TARDIS, ducked away the lasers.

~00~

“You heard him, Group Captain! Target that dish!” Winston ordered. “Send in all we've got!

“Danny Boy, the dish and stop that signal. Over.” The officer said. The others watched the screen.

“Understood, sir. Over. You can count on us! Over.”

“Oh, good luck, lads!” A woman officer said.

“We've lost Jubilee, sir! Over.”

“Beam still active, sir.” The officer said to Winston.

“Then send them in again!” Winston ordered.

“Flintlock's down sir, and the dish seems to be protected. Over.” Danny Boy told them. “Going in, wish me luck. Over.”

Then the officer called. “Direct hit, sir!” Then the group burst into cheers as London went dark again.

Not a moment later the Doctor came running into the room as he hit Bracewell, causing him to fell on the ground. “Doctor!” Maddie exclaimed.

“Ow! Sorry, Professor.” The Doctor explained. “You're a bomb! An inconceivably massive Dalek bomb.”

“What?” Bracewell asked shocked.

“There's an Oblivion Continuum inside you a captured wormhole that provides perpetual power. Detonate that, and the Earth will bleed through into another dimension!” The Doctor explained as he kneeled down, he ripped Bracewell shirt open as then he pulled out his sonic. “Now keep down!” He ordered to him, he sonicing on Bracewell chest as it opened to reveal a metal version of his chest underneath with the bomb inside, which was lip up and counting down.

“Well?” Amy breathed.

“I dunno, I dunno, I dunno! Never seen one up close before!” The Doctor panicked a little.

“So, what, they've wired him up to detonate?” Maddie asked to him.

“Not wired him up! He is a bomb.” The Doctor replied to her. “Walking, talking, exploding! The moment that flashes red.”

“There's a blue wire or something you have to cut, isn't there?” Amy was trying to help. “There's always a blue wire. Or a red one.”

“You're not helping!” The Doctor said to Amy as Maddie wanted to smack him.

“It's incredible.” Winston sounded surprised and confused as anyone else in the room. “He talked to us about his memories. The Great War.”

“Someone else's stolen thoughts, implanted in a positronic brain.” The Doctor said to Winston as then he looked at Bracewell. “Tell me about it. Bracewell! Tell me about your life!”

“Doctor, I really don't think this is the time!” Bracewell protected.

“Tell me and prove you're human.” The Doctor ordered. “Tell me everything.” One of the sections was already red, the second segment of the circle now turned yellow.

“My family ran the Post Office. It's a little place just near the abbey. Just by the ash trees. There used to be eight trees but… but there was a storm.” Bracewell told him, his voice shaking slightly.

“And your parents?” The Doctor wanted him to hurry up. “Come on! Tell me!”

“Good people. Kind people. They… They died. Scarlet fever.” Bracewell told him, his eyes nearly in tears.

“What was that like? How did it feel? Please, how did it make you feel, Edwin? Tell me! Tell me now!” The Doctor urged.

“It hurt. It hurts, Doctor, so badly.” Bracewell cried. “Like a wound. It was worse than a wound. Like I'd been emptied out. There was nothing left.” The second segment of the circle turned red, the third turned into yellow.

“Good. Remember it now, Edwin!” The Doctor pressed. “The ash trees by the Post Office and your mum and dad and losing them and men in the trenches you saw die. Remember it! Feel it, because you're human.” The third segment turned red. “You're not like them. You are not like the Daleks!”

“It hurts! Doctor, it hurts so much!” Bracewell continued to cry.

“Good! Good! Good! Brilliant! Embrace it.” The fourth section turned red. “That means you're alive! They cannot explode that bomb, you're a human being! You are flesh and blood! They cannot explode that bomb! Believe it! You are Professor Edwin Bracewell! And you, my friend, are a human being!” The fifth section turned yellow. “It's not working, I can't stop it!”

Then Amy crouched down as then she said to Bracewell, trying something different. “Hey Paisley. Ever fancied someone you know you shouldn't?”

Bracewell looked at her. “W… What?”

“Hurts, doesn't it?” Amy asked as the fifth section remained yellow. “But kind of a good hurt.”

“I really shouldn't talk about her.” Bracewell comment.

“Oh. There's a her.” Amy teased with a smile. The fifth section turned into blue.

Maddie crouched as well, she understood what Amy was doing as then she asked to Bracewell. “What was her name?” The Doctor catches it as well as he know what Amy was doing.

“Dorabella.” Bracewell replied to her.

“Dorabella. It's a lovely name, it's a beautiful name.” The Doctor said to him.

“What was she like, Edwin?” Maddie asked to Bracewell.

“Oh, such a smile. And her eyes… Her eyes were so blue Almost violet. Like the last touch of sunset on the edge of the world Dorabella.” Bracewell had a dreamy look on his face. Then all the sections turned blue.

The Doctor grinned at them. “Welcome to the human race.” Then he turned to Winston. “You're brilliant, you're brilliant…” Then to Bracewell. “And you two…” Then he turned to Amy and Maddie. He hugged them both, then he stood up. “Now. Gotta stop them! Stop the Daleks!”

“Wait! Doctor! Wait.” Bracewell called as he sat up. “Wait. It's too late. They've gone.”

“Gone.” The Doctor asked to him. “No, no, no!” He was angry as he walked into a circle shouting. “They can't! They can't have got away from me again!”

“No, I can feel it, my mind is clear.” Bracewell assured him. “The Daleks have gone.”

The Doctor had a defeated look on his face as then Amy and Maddie walked over to him. “Doctor. It's Okay! You did it.” Amy said to him. “You stopped the bomb.”

“Doctor?” Maddie asked worried.

“I had a choice.” The Doctor breathed. “And they knew I'd choose the Earth. The Daleks have won. They beat me. They've won.”

“But you saved the Earth.” Amy emphasized. “Not too shabby, is it?”

“Is it?” Maddie asked.

“No.” The Doctor smiled a little to them. “It's not too shabby.”

“It's a brilliant achievement, my dear friend.” Winston stepped up. “Here, have a cigar!”

~00~

Then later, the Doctor and Maddie strode into the map room, holding each other’s hand. “Tying up loose ends. I've taken out all the alien tech Bracewell put in.”

“Won't you reconsider, Doctor? Those Spitfires would win me the war in 24 hours!” Winston pleaded.

“Exactly.” The Doctor replied, knowing that war needed to go on for a few more years. Like it was supposed to.

“But why not? Why can't we put an end to all this misery?” Winston asked to him, wondering why he didn’t want to end it now.

“Oh, it doesn't work like that, Winston. It's gonna be tough.” The Doctor replied truthfully. “There are terrible days to come. The darkest days. But you can do it. You know you can.”

“Stay with us, and help us win through!” Winston said to him. “The world needs you.”

“The world doesn't need me.” The Doctor said to him, he glanced at Maddie.

“No?” Winston looked less convinced.

“The world's got Winston Spencer Churchill.” The Doctor replied with a smile, he was making a V for victory sign.

“It's been a pleasure, as always.” Winston said as he put the papers down on the desk.

“Too right.” The Doctor agreed with him.

“Goodbye, Doctor.” Winston and the Doctor hugged.

“Oh, shall we say adieu?” The Doctor asked as they ended the hug.

“Indeed.” Winston replied to him as then he turned to Amy and Maddie. “Goodbye, Miss Pond, Miss Turner.”

“It’s been an honor.” Maddie said smiling.

“It's. It’s been amazing.” Amy said also smiling as she had her hands in her hair. “Meeting you.”

“I'm sure it has!” Winston said as Amy kissed his cheek. After that they separated, Winston walked away, before Maddie called after him, holding her hand out.

Winston turned around. “Oi, Churchill! TARDIS key.” She said to him. “The one you just took from the Doctor.” The Doctor looked into his pockets, his pockets were indeed empty.

“Oh, she's good, Doctor. As sharp as a pin!” Winston said to the Doctor as he gave the key to Maddie. “Almost as sharp as me!” He lit his cigar. “Hmm KBO!” Then he walked now really away from them, back to the war.

~00~

The trio walked into Bracewell’s lap as he said to them. “I've been expecting you, Doctor. I knew this moment had to come.”

“Moment?” The Doctor asked confused.

“It's time to de-activate me.” Bracewell replied.

“Is it? Oh yeah.” The Doctor nodded to him.

“You have no choice. I'm Dalek technology.” Bracewell said to them. “Can't allow me to go pottering around down here where I have no business.”

“No, you're dead right, Professor. I get back here in…” The Doctor gave the girls a quick wink. “What, ten minutes?”

“More like 15.” Maddie comment.

“Fifteen minutes, yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do.” The Doctor nodded. “You are going to be so de-activated. It's going be like you've never even been activated.”

“15 minutes?” Bracewell repeated.

“More like 20, if I'm honest.” The Doctor was trying to give him a hint. “Once Pond, Maddie and I see to the urgent thing we've got to see to. The… the… See?”

“Very well, Doctor. I shall wait here and prepare myself.” Bracewell said as he wasn’t getting the hint.

“Yeah, Dalek tech, but a bit slow on the uptake.” Amy whispered to the Doctor and Maddie. Then she said out loud. “That thing we've got to do. Gonna take half an hour, realistically, isn’t it, Doctor?”

“Easily! So no running off, that's what I'm saying. Don't go trying to find that little Post Office with the ash trees or that girl.” The Doctor asked. “What was her name?”

“Dorabella.” Bracewell asked confused.

“Dorabella. On no account go looking for her.” The Doctor replied to him. “Mind you, you can get a lot done in half an hour.”

Then Bracewell gets it. “Thank you, thank you, Doctor!” He said happily to him.

“Come along, Pond, Maddie!” The Doctor said to them as they all walked out of the room.

~00~

“So, you have enemies then?” Amy asked as they arrived to the TARDIS.

“Everyone's got enemies.” The Doctor replied as he had the TARDIS key in his hand.

“Yeah, but mine's the woman outside Budgens with the mental Jack Russell.” Amy told to him as they all leaned against the TARDIS. “You've got, like, you know, arch-enemies.”

“Suppose so.” The Doctor agreed.

“And here's me thinking we'd just be running through time, being daft and fixing stuff.” Amy looked at him. “But no. It's dangerous.”

“Yup. Very. Is that a problem?” The Doctor asked to both of them.

“I'm still here, aren't I?” Amy replied to him. 

“As I am.” Maddie also replied to him, despite her fear for the Daleks, she didn’t want to give up the adventures she have with the Doctor. Then she looked at him. “You're worried about the Daleks.”

“I'm always worried about the Daleks.” The Doctor said to her.

“It'll take time, though, won't it? There's still not many of them.” Amy said trying to see a positive about the situation. “They'll need a while to build themselves up.”

“It's not that. There's something else. Something we've forgotten.” The Doctor looked at Amy. “Or rather you have.”

“Me?” Amy asked confused.

“You didn't know them, Amy. You'd never seen them before. And you should have done, like Maddie did.” The Doctor told her. “You should.” Then he stepped into the TARDIS, followed by Maddie and a still confused Amy.