Chapter 5. Getting Close

DANIELLE POV

I'd gone back to my dorm an hour after I noticed Haerin left and went over to my bed, collapsing immediately after my shower. It was strange how Haerin stuck in my mind but I brushed it off as Haerin being far more sweet than I imagined.

The next few weeks between us were better. We talked every chance we got and began studying together. Haerin was smart and seemed to study at least 10 hours a week. I knew she would have no problem achieving good grades.

I don't know what it was but something in me wanted to know Haerin. She was smart and funny. The fact that she was very intellectual really had me smiling. She continuously spoke about things that made me actually think and I realized I wasn't as open to life as I thought. Her eyes were too captivating, I felt wrong for turning away from her for even a moment. I even noticed she was a bit of a charmer. I laughed at practically everything she said and had to admit I liked her. Liked her in the sense of becoming her friend, of course. Sometimes I found myself staring at her and she'd catch me and smile.

It was Friday and the end of the week was coming to a close. I finished my last class and was ready to go home and relax. My time with Jungwon wasn't much but we were working through it. Every time I spoke to him he apologized and that was becoming exhausting to hear.

"Hey sweetie," Jungwon said coming up from behind. He enveloped me wrapping his arms around my waist, linking his fingers over my abdomen.

I cringed, stiffening my shoulders as he kissed my neck. I inhaled deeply trying to let this flooding annoyance of his closeness pass. He was my boyfriend. I should be able to let him touch me without going cold and sour but I can't help it. That's how I felt.

"Hey you," I said turning out of his grip.

He skewed his expression into a frown. "You're not still upset about the thing with Haerin, are you?"

His tone told me he thought I should be passed it by now. What a naive insensitive thought.

I sighed and turned away. We were at the cafe we always seemed to circle around and there were too many nearby. We walked to a booth sitting across from each other and it was clear that tension was between us.

"I'm trying to be a good boyfriend but you don't help much." He slapped his hand against the table making me dubious to his attitude. Somehow through this...he managed to make it about him and me the prime problem starter. Not once had I thrown what he did--how much fried he caused me, in his face. I had forgiven him and he couldn't even care to pretend he was sorry or regretted cheating on me. Why was I still with him?

"Excuse me?" I said quietly leaning across the table to him.

Jungwon smacked his lips...rolling his eyes. He was being way too dramatic and causing a scene. "Nothing."

"No Jungwon," I muttered. "It isn't clearly nothing. Something's definitely on your mind."

"Nothing...never mind," he spat out. "Stop pushing the subject."

I crossed my arms over my chest, studying him. "That's the problem. You never want to communicate."

Jungwon sneered, leaning over. "You want to communicate?" He tried whispering but failed. "You want to know what I'm thinking?"

"Yes," I shot back.

"When my girlfriend of two years doesn't want to sleep with me, you should expect me to turn to someone else." His words shot knives through my body as I felt an invisible blow to my chest.

This is what bothered him most. Sex. Everyone in the cafe shifted their gaze to us and I lowered my head as if trying to bury myself. Why did I fall into this argument?