14 : Driving Them

The dust billows behind us when we drive off the road toward my mom's house

The dust billows behind us when we drive off the road toward my mom's house. I feel ashamed having Gabe pull into the trailer park. Even if an Audi didn't look out of place, he does.

I see Mom's car parked out front, and can't decide if that makes me more or less nervous.

"This one," I point. He parks. "Stay here, okay?"

He nods, worry still on his face. I climb out of the car. My heart pounds as I approach the door. I knock, wondering if I'll throw up before anyone answers.

The door swings open and Mom' frowning face appears. Her hair is neatly braided over one shoulder, and her work uniform on. "What are you doing here?" she asks.

An ache crawls over my skin when I look at her. "I sent Lily's medication to you in the mail. The delivery said it was rejected, so I just want to make sure you—"

"Didn't need 'em, so I didn't accept 'em."

Her interruption caught me off guard. "But Lily needs her medicine, and the school needs the backup."

"She has what she needs. We don't need your help."

"We agreed I'd pay for Lily's meds. I moved, so I'm shipping them now. There's no need to turn them away."

"I can pay for them myself. We don't need you."

I stare at her, trying to study her eyes through the screen door. "Are you feeling okay? Are you still taking your meds?"

"Mind your own business. Go live your little life in Hollywood or wherever you ended up and leave us alone." She slams the door as hard as she can.

I don't accept that. I pound on the door again. "Mom, wait! Can I say hi to Lily?" No answer. "Lily!"

The door opens again. "Get your ass out of here, Margeaux!" Mom screams in my face.

Anger makes the prickle of my tears burn even worse. "Please, Mom. Don't stop taking your meds. Don't do to her what you did to me."

Rather than slamming the door in my face again, she reaches for something. I run down the stairs, missing the magazine she throws at me. "Leave! And don't come back!"

I run back to the car and jump inside. "Go!"

Gabe doesn't question it, just throws it in reverse. He pulls out of the park and back onto the road. Saying nothing, he follows the street back to the highway.

I watch the hills whip by my window and dry my eyes with my sleeve. Gabe rests his hand on my leg, but I can't look at him. I'm too embarrassed.

"I'm so sorry. Your sister loves you and I know you'll talk to her soon," he tells me. I cry harder. "I don't know what to say. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

I don't even consider it. There may be something to make me feel better, but there is nothing that can make me feel worse. Truly, the only thing I want to do is to know my family doesn't hate me.