four.

"attention shoppers, even a big box store has to close and it's about that time. you know, when pandora closed her famous box, there was only one thing left inside - hope. i wonder what will be left inside of this box. could it be grace? i hope not. if you're grace's parents, please pick her up at customer service." kristen pulled her bag up higher on her shoulder and shook her head in slight amusement at garrett's announcements. she had learnt early on that he always added a flare to his announcements and she had come to find it one of the funniest parts of the job.

kristen had been the first to clock out, it was easier to get out when you weren't stuck on a register and kristen was always the first to run to clock out. mostly so that she didn't have to queue to clock out and be forced to interact in the whole polite small talk charade that came with standing around. she waved towards where garrett was still behind the customer service desk with the little girl he had been making the announcement about. "classy announcement as always," she called with a grin spreading across her face. "just doing my duty."

"everybody get down on the ground, now!" kristen froze for a split second, the blood draining from her body. she spotted amy and some of the others near the customer service desk and instinctively moved towards them, making sure to be quick. "all right, calm down. do what i say and nobody gets hurt!" mateo had taken a couple of steps back, almost hiding behind both jonah and amy and kristen was extremely tempted to follow suit. "now, i'm gonna start killing somebody every minute unless you agree to marry me cheyenne." kristen frowned. "huh?"

"hit it!" she watched as another guy pushed garrett away from the customer service desk. "hey, what the-" kristen shook her head and turned back to face where cheyenne's boyfriend had started some sort of flash mob. "i had nothing to do with this," jonah gestured towards the flash mob. "yeah, i know," amy crossed her arms, watching cheyenne's reaction to whatever was going on. "this is the fault of youtube."

"i hate the internet," kristen groaned. "this is the worst thing that i've ever witnessed in this store." amy scoffed. "there's literal raccoons living here." kristen raised a brow. "at least they don't sing." amy laughed a little at that and kristen had to try her best to conceal how satisfied that little bit of recognition made her.

"i'm currently seeking representation in all areas. also, i do modelling so i'm just throwing that out there. all right, peace out st. louis." he climbed somewhat awkwardly down from the register, obviously forgetting what his main aim with the entire flash mob was. kristen couldn't help but admit it was all kind of amusing in a way. "bo!" cheyenne called out. "what?" he spun around. "oh, my bad. cheyenne tyler lee, will you marry me? or are you gonna be, like, a dick about it?" kristen shook her head in disbelief. "romance really is done for," she commented. "well-" amy began but was cut off by the lights around them shutting off.

kristen was about to make a sarcastic comment when her attention caught onto the ceiling. the entire ceiling of the store was covered in those glow in the dark stars she was so familiar with stocking. her mouth fell open a little in awe which she didn't even have to conceal because pretty much everyone around was having a similar reaction. "what is this?" amy stepped forward, the first to break the silence. "moment of beauty?" kristen's head automatically snapped to where jonah was stood, his focus entirely on amy. the brunette was smiling in a way kristen had never seen before and while it shouldn't have made her feel anything, jealousy coursed through her veins in a way she'd never felt before.

"if this isn't a hostage situation i'm gonna go," kristen stepped around amy. "i don't need to be here any longer than necessary." she probably didn't have to announce that she was leaving, no one would've noticed her quietly slipping out. "congratulations." she patted cheyenne on the shoulder, the girl grinning ear to ear as she turned her hand admiring her ring. "thank you!" she smiled politely at bo before squeezing past both of them to get to the exit. she needed to get out of there before her mind started confusing her anymore.

she had often felt jealousy at how close her coworkers seemed to be and how much of an outsider she always was no matter how hard she tried to fit in with them but this was different. this was something unexplored, something untouched that had been pushed away. and kristen wasn't planning on letting jealousy over jonah simms consume her whole.