five.

"a fake hostage situation?" jennifer and tiffany were sprawled across the couch in their living room, kristen trying her best to push tiffany's legs off her lap. the three girls had been living together for the past three years and any sense of personal space had been long lost. jennifer laughed so hard at the idea of bo's flash mob proposal that she struggled to catch her breath. "never a boring day at cloud nine," jennifer commented. "maybe i should get a job there."

"yeah because your dad would be so happy if he found out you'd taken up working retail," kristen raised a brow. "he'd probably pay you to quit," tiffany chipped in. jennifer was the youngest of the three girls and had been in college for as long as both tiffany and kristen had known her. she had flitted between career choices for years, her parents paying her tuition and anything else she needed. they insisted she didn't need to get a job for as long as she was studying and tiffany and kristen suspected that's why she had spent so long meticulously picking out the course that kept her in college the longest.

"maybe i want to make my own money for once," jennifer shrugged, stretching out on the couch. "you would not last a day in there," tiffany replied. tiffany had been a christmas temp the same year that kristen had started working at cloud nine, she'd been freshly out of college and hadn't yet started at the middle school a couple of blocks down the road from them. she was just as bad as kristen and her place was mainly on registers, which resulted in her being constantly stressed and usually taking it out on kristen. glenn had been sweet enough to offer tiffany a permanent position after the holidays despite her many little mistakes, but luckily for kristen a teaching position had opened up and tiffany had taken it meaning no more break room arguments between both girls.

tiffany no longer working with kristen had been a relief considering both girls had been friends since they were six years old. they used to trade lunches in the playground when kristen's mom wouldn't let her eat cheese and tiffany's wouldn't let her eat meat. twenty-two years later and the girls were still as close as close could be. tiffany working at cloud nine was definitely enough to tear that apart, she was moody and snappy and kristen was not about to go through it again with jennifer.

"it is not that bad," kristen shrugged. "you constantly complain about it," jennifer nudged her with her foot. "or about a specific person." amy sosa had always been a topic of conversation from the second that kristen had started at cloud nine that her name had been completely banned from their household. jennifer and tiffany had grown tired of kristen and her complaints which was ironic because they spoke of her far more than kristen had recently. "ah ah," kristen raised a brow. "remember the whole 'no being a bitch about your supervisor' rule?"

"she's not my supervisor," jennifer grinned at her. "and also you never mentioned she was cute." she shot tiffany a look. "i expect it from her because she's stubborn but you could've told me she was hot." kristen frowned at her. "she's married." jennifer shrugged. "and i'm in a relationship," she winked at kristen. "it's a shame she's not single because you'd look good together." kristen could feel her body burning from head to toe at that comment. "never in a million years would i have any feelings for amy sosa."

jennifer and tiffany exchanged looks like they knew something that kristen did not. they done it quite regularly and it irked kristen more than she'd like to admit. it always made her feel like she was on the outskirts of something. "i'm done with this conversation," kristen moved tiffany's legs from her lap once again. "i have work in the morning and i'd rather not have anyone from cloud nine in my thoughts for the next ten hours." she pushed herself up from the couch, both girls protesting. "when was the last time you had a day off?" jennifer groaned. "we haven't seen each other in so long."

"we live together," kristen reminded her. "also i need all of the shifts i can get and luckily for me, we're a little understaffed right now." jennifer scowled at her. "you know what i meant," she sighed but didn't protest kristen leaving them any further. the blonde felt a small pang in her chest as her friends resumed their conversation on the couch, tiffany moving closer to jennifer. kristen didn't get to spend as much time with her friends as she would like to which had resulted in jennifer and tiffany spending more and more time together. they were grown adults and it shouldn't have affected their relationship in any way but kristen couldn't help but feel like she was getting more and more distanced from them with every day she spent working.

but longing for her old friendships back as well as workplace relationships wasn't on her list of things to worry about, so she shoved the idea of losing her friends out of her mind and continued down the hallway to her room.